• Please log in to reply
561 replies to this topic

#481   mvanderhoff

mvanderhoff
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:31

Great piece of software!

One thing I noticed when I installed it was my Header SEO Tags would NOT show the product information anymore after installing SEO URLS 5. Any thoughts on this?

#482   jmoll

jmoll
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:21

Good evening. I'm using osC 2.3.1 on a Windows IIS server (I know, I know...). Anyway, I have USU 5 Pro installed, and is working well from what I can tell. I installed another add-on that adds a next and previous button to each product page, so that you can navigate easily and quickly between products within a given category. Some of my products are in more than one categoary, e.g. a wicker chair is in category path "Outdoor Wicker -> Wicker Chairs", but also in "Outdoor Wicker -> Wicker Collections -> XYZ Collection". The next/prev. buttons from the add-on always default to the category path for Wicker Chairs. I.e., when viewing prod page for a chair in cat path 2_18, fine, but when in cat path 35_42, as soon as I click either the Prev or Next button (from the add-on), it goes back to thinking it's in cat path 2_18. Debugging through all the code, I've determined it's due to a variable $current_category not containing the current path value, e.g. "35_42", so it queries and gets first cat path returned from the db, which is always "2_18". So, tracing through all the code, I'm realizing that the cPath info is being lost somehow by USU 5 Pro somewhere in the bowels of all the object oriented code - i.e. the links on the product listing page for the current category have just the p-xxx data in them, i.e. just the product id values, but no cPath data. Now I can "fix" this by going to the admin for USU 5 Pro and enabling the setting to add in the cPath, and this will fix the problem in that my Next and Prev buttons navigate correctly through the current category, but the admin option does this by tacking it on as a URL query param, i.e. "?cPath=35_42", which I'm thinking then defeats the whole point of having an SEO friendly URL formatting add-on.... Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this without having to resort to the non-SEO friendly cPath query param tack-on to the end of links? Remember that I'm on IIS and don't have an htaccess file to add re-write rules to, so I'm looking for ideas to implement via program code. Thanks in advance for any help/ideas/suggestions!

#483   jmoll

jmoll
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 21:58

Good evening. I'm using osC 2.3.1 on a Windows IIS server (I know, I know...)....

Solved this by simply setting a session variable to store the correct cPath value then retrieving this if set in application top.

#484   kevinhuynh

kevinhuynh
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 16:27

I just installed thi code for my web. It's quite good. But I look for Header SEO Tags. The code does not included the Header CEO Tags.

I try to use UNIQUE META, but it only show description and keywords the same as every pages. I don't know which code the keywords and description can be change every catergory and every producr.

Which Header SEO Tags can be run with this code?

Give me advice.
Thanks

#485   cardinalskate

cardinalskate
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 16:53

Hellooooo.... I'm the perfect example of why someone should not attempt to do something even when everyone claims it to be "simple" - My site is down and I'm in panic mode. Here's what I did:

-Attempted to install SEO URLs, when it didn't work, I decided that I should get someone who knows what they're doing to install for me.
-I went backwards through the instructions and changed everything back to the way it was
-Checked to make sure all was good again, and all I'm getting is error messages on the main page:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/cardinalskate/cardinalskateboarding.com/includes/application_top.php on line 280

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

#486   FWR Media

FWR Media
  • Members
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 18:09

How modified is the site? try a fresh download and a new Application_top,php

In future before modding a file please keep a backup.

#487   FWR Media

FWR Media
  • Members
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 18:11

I just installed thi code for my web. It's quite good. But I look for Header SEO Tags. The code does not included the Header CEO Tags.

I try to use UNIQUE META, but it only show description and keywords the same as every pages. I don't know which code the keywords and description can be change every catergory and every producr.

Which Header SEO Tags can be run with this code?

Give me advice.
Thanks

Any well written script will run with this, all it does is generate URLs. Some scripts like header tags SEO do/or used to break when any correct path based URI was introduced.

#488   FWR Media

FWR Media
  • Members
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 18:12

Great piece of software!

One thing I noticed when I installed it was my Header SEO Tags would NOT show the product information anymore after installing SEO URLS 5. Any thoughts on this?

Speak to the supporter of the contrib. Any contrib should work with this. Header tags seo is/or was poorly coded and broke whenever path based URIs were introduced.

#489   FWR Media

FWR Media
  • Members
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 18:17

BTW apologies for the lack of response, I set this to follow and it seems as though it unset.

#490   vampirehunter

vampirehunter
  • Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:23

which contribution is best to install?

ultimate seo urls 5 pro or ultimate seo v2.2d?

#491   FWR Media

FWR Media
  • Members
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:52

The original Ultimate seo urls is old code dating from 2002 and built by a guy who is sadly dead.

It is still currently being supported but USU5 offers a lot more and is far newer code.

Entirely up to you .. also if anyone tells you about "lack of compatibility" it is rubbish.

#492   queenzukie

queenzukie
  • Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 20:07

I've installed the urls 5 pro, do I need to turn off FWR URL Validation and FWR Security Pro?

#493   FWR Media

FWR Media
  • Members
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 21:55

You don't need the old validation, that was validation off Chemos old version.

You should upgrade Security Pro to the latest.

#494   kevinhuynh

kevinhuynh
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 19:23

How can I modify the rewrite url like this
www.mysite.com/rebok/trainers/my-great-product-p-32.html >>> www.mysite.com/rebok/trainers/p-32-my-great-product.html

Thanks!

#495   FWR Media

FWR Media
  • Members
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 20:01

How can I modify the rewrite url like this
www.mysite.com/rebok/trainers/my-great-product-p-32.html >>> www.mysite.com/rebok/trainers/p-32-my-great-product.html

You would need to modify the files in: -

catalog/includes/modules/ultimate_seo_urls5/page_modules/

you would also need to modify the RewriteRules in .htaccess.

#496   walmslei

walmslei
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 23:10

Great contribution, installed on OSC2.3.1, vanilla install on a RHEL box (running Plesk 11) - The pages all seem to load as you'd expect, URLs all rewrite perfectly and navigation doesn't seem to have any issues.

However, checking the server headers I am getting 404's being returned. Disabling USU in the admin panel turns these back to 200's and re-enabling gives the 404. Note the pages still load fine in a browser, but its the headers that are bouncing, which is giving sitemap errors and such with Google (the rich snippets tool will not pickup the pages either, although it picks up the snippets when you paste in the HTML).

We are intending to use this mainly for aesthetic reasons (i.e. the URL looks more relevant on display to the user rather than being genuinely much better for SEO gaming purposes).

Any ideas where to start? I've spent an hour or two looking over the configs and everything -seems- to be fine.

#497   FWR Media

FWR Media
  • Members
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:46

@walmslei

Strange problem.

Please try removing all .htaccess rules except for those of USU5 temporarily and re test.

The only time USU5 issues a 404 header is when no link text was found for the url in the page module which then sets the variable page_not_found to true, this subsequently triggers the header to be generated in Usu_Validator.

#498   walmslei

walmslei
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:30

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Looking at it with fresher eyes this morning, hacking 'validator.php' and taking the following block of code:

if ( false !== Usu_Main::i()->getVar( 'page_not_found' ) ) {
// $this->pageNotFound();
}
// If the incoming uri and the newly created uri do not match then we need to 301 redirect to the new.
if ( Usu_Main::i()->getVar( 'request_compare_in' ) != Usu_Main::i()->getVar( 'request_compare_new' ) ) {
// $this->redirect( $new_url );
}

I know its fairly obvious (as I've rem'd out the calls to the 404 and 301), but the URLs keep working as they were yesterday and the invalid server headers are now gone. So, the header is definitely coming from USU5, but its not immediately obvious what its not liking.

I'll put some logging into those procedures, see if I can't draw something out of it - If I do I'll post it up later this afternoon as this one had me pulling my hair out yesterday.

#499   walmslei

walmslei
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:21

Okay, before each of those calls to $this-> which are remarked out above, I put the following:

For the 404:

$myFile = "log.txt";
$fh = fopen($myFile, 'a') or die("can't open file");
fwrite($fh, "Request404:".remove_session_id( htmlspecialchars_decode( Usu_Main::i()->getVar( 'original_request_uri' ) ) )."\n");
fclose($fh);

And for the redirect:

$myFile = "log.txt";
$fh = fopen($myFile, 'a') or die("can't open file");
fwrite($fh, "Request301:".remove_session_id( htmlspecialchars_decode( Usu_Main::i()->getVar( 'original_request_uri' ) ) )."\n");
fclose($fh);

My log.txt file then contained the following entries:

Request404:/xyz-p-32.html
Request301:/xyz-p-32.html

However, there is an interesting point to note here - It only appends to the file log.txt when it is called from an external source - If you open this in a browser and jump around the site, the log file doesn't grow BUT if you access it via an external source (i.e. any one of the hundreds of server header checkers) then the log file -does- grow.

#500   FWR Media

FWR Media
  • Members
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:38

@walmslei

In both cases you have shown only the original request ..

I'd like to see Usu_Main::i()->getVar( 'request_compare_new' ) as a comparison.