• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do I get a Search Engine to look at my products page?

t_revs

Hi

As I am using CMS Made Simple as a front end my osCommerce store is in a sub-directory -

so how do I get search engine spiders to look at my products page and how do I insert meta-tags

in that page?

As I understand it pages are dynamic so don't actually exist as HTML pages but are built from php code

so how does a spider index a php page?

Or am I just being thick.

Cheers

does CMS prevent from submitting a sitemap to search engines? just asking. That's the way you usually go about submitting your products to search engines. There are a few ways of doing it, but for example try http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6583 for Google. In google's case, open a google webmaster tools account and submit your sitemap there. Read their advice on what sitemap format they prefer. For yahoo, submit at Yahoo site explorer, open an account there.

For meta tags, look at contributions, for instance this one http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5851

~ Don't mistake my kindness for weakness ~

As I understand it pages are dynamic so don't actually exist as HTML pages but are built from php code

so how does a spider index a php page?

php means the server creates your html pages dynamically from the php script

what the search engines see is the rendedred html pages and unless your dbase changes very often they will see them as static pages

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The last two posts are exactly right. If you want to see what the search engine sees, browse to one of your pages and choose "View Source" in your browser. (For a little fun, you can copy and paste the output in a validation engine and see if the document is well-formed).

To answer your question about a search engine finding sub-directories, it follows links the same way you would. They know how to find the <a> tags on your page and move on to the page identified in the href="" attribute. Basically, you want to be sure that your home page has good internal links to well-formed pages in your store that have relevant content on them.

Good Luck!

Chris Trahey

Web Applications Developer

Database Administrator

[ZCE PHP5, MySQL CA]

Archived