• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Development] Products Specifications

kymation

This addon is being developed to allow the addition of an unlimited number of

specifications to the site's products. These can be used for:

1. A table of specifications on the Product Info page.

2. A comparison table showing the specifications of a group of products.

3. A set of filters to allow the customer to show only products that meet

certain criteria. This could be all AGP video cards with 256MB of memory, the

parts for a 1992 Yugo, or anything else you might want to set up.

================================================================================

*****WARNING****

-=Development Code=-

This code is currently under development. Consider this an early Alpha release

at best. Parts of the code are extremely buggy, and the rest is incomplete. Or

missing altogether. Don't even think of installing this on anything except a

development machine. Also, don't install it if you are not at least moderately

familiar with PHP and MySQL and willing to at least look at both. This addon

will be replaced with a new one when the code is ready for release.

================================================================================

Code in a minute....

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

The code is here.

Please post any suggestions, code snippets, and things you might want to do with this. I promise to consider any additional requirements (although I don't promise to code them.) I also welcome anyone who wants to help with this project.

I think this could be useful to anyone who sells technical products, from computers to auto parts to whatever. If you fit in this category, please participate. You won't necessarily get the features that you need if I don't know about them. I am trying to make this as generic as possible, but I can't think of everything.

Currently, the database design is done (lthough subject to change.) The SQL and a relation diagram are included. The Specifications display on the products Info page should work. The Admin pages are mostly done but buggy. The Comparison page is barely started. The Filters code is mostly just prototype code (based on an older mod that wasn't all that versatile.)

Yes. there's still a lot of work to do here. I'm doing this in my spare (hah!) time, so don't expect it tomorrow.

Regards

Jim

kymation,

thanks for starting up this project. i think this addon will be in top 10 when it becomes stable. i will try current code base in my local development server and throw some early comments here afterwards. also i can contribute to this project

Thanks for the good words. The code is a mess right now. It's actually worthless, so don't bother. I'll be putting up a new version in a bit with some of the bugs fixed. It still won't be worth the bother, but more of the bugs will be gone. The code is only there because it's required to have code to discuss the development here.

What I really need right now is requirements. What do you need this to do? What features would you like to see? Options? Anything at all to help guide the process. I've got a bunch of ideas, but I don't know if I'm the only one who wants those. I'd much rather design things in than find out after it's all done and have to make major changes.

Help with the coding will also be quite welcome. There are pages that could be developed separately, once I get the database design stable that is. If you'd be willing to work on something like the Comparison page, just let me know.

Regards

Jim

That's pretty much the way the prototype worked. Except it's not attributes in the osCommerce sense; the data fields are completely separate. Linking it to Options/Attributes for a product instead of just to the product could be useful. I'll have to think about how to make that work.

Regards

Jim

I've added an updated package to the code distribution. Note that the code is still pretty badly broken and unusable.

The database design has been changed to make filters a bit more rational. This is not final by any means, but it's getting there. I've also done some more work on the Admin side.

Comments or questions on the design are still welcome. Please let us know what you think.

Regards

Jim

could you expand on how ithis different form the category fields contribution ?

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Category Fields adds extra data fields to the Products Info page. In that respect it's very similar. I intend some more options on that page, but otherwise the result will be the same. The database design is also similar, in the areas where it matches, although I've tried to make this one a bit more generic.

Category Fields lacks the ability to generate a comparison page for the products in a category. It also lacks the filters that can be used to restrict the product listing to only those products meeting customer-selected criteria. These two features were the reason I decided to code this monster. I've done similar modifications before, but they weren't generic enough to be reusable. I'm tired of custom coding these things, so I decided to create something that can be reused for a variety of different sites.

Regards

Jim

Category Fields adds extra data fields to the Products Info page. In that respect it's very similar. I intend some more options on that page, but otherwise the result will be the same. The database design is also similar, in the areas where it matches, although I've tried to make this one a bit more generic.

ok, think i got it.

Category Fields lacks the ability to generate a comparison page for the products in a category. It also lacks the filters that can be used to restrict the product listing to only those products meeting customer-selected criteria. These two features were the reason I decided to code this monster.

I've coded these things quite some time ago, the compare contribution is still around, but i don't think it should be used as the design is not flexible enough. i think it should probably be modelled after the shopping_cart class.

Filters (my version works but sucks as it is too memory intensive) I personally would like it so they can be bookmarked, and some ajax UI functions to cut down on long lists.

I've been pondering to add category fields or not, I have currently static attributes which I can use easily for fixed text fields.

Haven't looked at your code yet, been busy, but I'll definitely following this thread,

Carine

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Jim

I have a few ideas

Adding a hint field to the specification_description table could make more friendly in understanding that extra specification

Also specification field can be dropdown, checkbox,etc type various form input element. By adding extra table field for this?

Jim

I have a few ideas

Adding a hint field to the specification_description table could make more friendly in understanding that extra specification

I had intended to use the specification_description field for that. It really doesn't have any other practical use. Unless you can think of something?

Also specification field can be dropdown, checkbox,etc type various form input element. By adding extra table field for this?

This would be useful where the specification field has a small set of specific values, so it would need to be optional. Interesting idea. I'll add that to the list.

Thanks for the ideas!

Regards

Jim

Jim,

For the hint text using specification_description field is okay, thats good.

For the 2nd idea field type can be set and has fixed content in admin entry by adding something seperated ie. "dropdown:256MB|512MB|1024MB" or "checkbox:"Yes|No" for multiple fixed choices in admin product update for the product entry operators.

Otherwise ie. if we add a label like "Memory Size" then operators who add/update product in admin can enter 256MB or 256 MB by hand for the same category products by accident. We have to fix the selection items for them. Off course you are right, just for the short list of items can be useful and practical.

Edited by snowbird

To make things more complex (Ha!) the MB should be set up as a suffix, making one more way for the code to get entered wrong. Yes, I've seen this problem before. The solution is not going to be simple. For one thing, it complicates the code in admin/categories.php. I still think this is a good idea, but it may not make it into the code until I can get the design fixed in my head. And, of course, find the time to code it. Time is bing short right now, too.

Thanks for the good comments. If you have any more good ideas, please pass them on.

Regards

Jim

No, it won't be so complex. By adding an additional field (ie. specification_formentry) in specification_description can make this happen. If it has something in it like "dropdown:256MB|512MB|1024MB" in categories.php field can populated as dropdown and forces operator to select one. If it is empty standard entry field can be displayed as normal

I'm going to do this right. It needs another field to specify the type (pulldown, radio, whatever) and a new table to hold the values. It's a good idea, and it will be added, but not right now. I need to get some other things working first.

Regards

Jim

Hi Jim,

First off, thanks for starting this contribution. It is exactly what I've been looking for.

I am the webmaster of our own webstore in maternity fashion. My GF, who is the owner of the store, is asking for a smart filtering system. She means: tick several specifications from a menu and only the clothes matching the specifications will be displayed. Naturaly clothes are divided in types, like trousers and skirts. However, if you want all red clothing in size XL the selection is not possible. ... I am sure you know what I mean ...

I understand your contribution is still in development and not to be used in our live store. Sort of speak a "pre-alpha release". I installed the contribution on my development machine and have to say it is very promissing. I surely want to contribute in testing with you and help with the development. Not in the least because I would be able to make sure the contribution fits my needs ;) .

But of course that's not the primary reason, OsCommerce has become some kind of hobby.

My configuration on the development machine:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2

HTTP Server: Apache/2.2.11 (Win32)

PHP Version: 5.2.9-2 (Zend: 2.2.0)

Database: MySQL 5.1.34-community

OsCommerce: oscommerce-2.2rc2a

Register_globals = off (other Apache/PHP variables on request)

Amount of Contributions: 53 (can make a list if you want). If nescessary i can make a clean install for this contribution alone.

-------

First observation:

During installation I have imported the SQL file. As you stated (warned) the options in table CONFIGURATION where added under configuration_group_id = 1610. However, in my version of MySQL, configuration_group_id 888006 was added to table CONFIGURATION_GROUP. 888006 happened to be the auto_increment number in this table. In other words: the SQL script is not in line with the auto_increment rules of my MySQL configuration/version.

After installation, I corrected the database and was able to set the configuration options of this contribution. However with:

if (SPECIFICATION_SHOW_TITLE_PRODUCTS == 'True' && (SPECIFICATIONS_BOX_FRAME_STYLE == 'Plain' || SPECIFICATIONS_BOX_FRAME_STYLE == 'Simple') ) {
  echo '<b>' . $specification_box_heading[0]['text'] . '</b>';
}

I would expect to see at least something with the options set accordingly.

------

OK, found your contribution today so I still have to digg into the code. As well, I am not a PHP expert but tryinmg to be a good amature. If it is possible for you to give us the basics about how you have structured your coding, or.. your intended structure of building this contribution, it will be helpfull to test and give feedback.

Regards,

Jerome

Thanks for the comments. For the development period, I recommend a plain unmodified install of osCommerce 2.2RC2a. There are going to be enough bugs without trying to figure out interactions with other addons. My development box is running Apache/2.2.11/PHP 5.2.9/MySQL 5.1.33 (XAMPP 1.7.1) under WinXP, so you shouldn't see any compatibility issues there. I write everything with all variables strictly declared and filtered, so no Register Globals problems either.

The warning in the SQL file is there for good reason: this happens a lot on modified stores. Some people write PHP scripts to take care of it automatically, but that depends on running your store database with full privileges, which I don't recommend. So I just put a warning in the SQL file and the Readme and leave it up to the person doing the install to change it if needed.

Unfortunately the code you quoted is still badly broken. I've been trying to get the Admin side working, at least for basic functions, before I go write the front end code. I did write a prototype of this, so you'll see some code in there, but it was too specific to the store it was written for. I want something that is general enough to be used for a wide variety of businesses, so that code will need to be rewritten. It's mostly there to remind me of what I wanted to do.

Equally unfortunately, the design is mostly in my head. I posted here to get input from folks like you, so I didn't miss something obvious in my design. This seems to be working well; I've had several helpful suggestions. Getting me to write out a design will be much harder. I did do a database design, which is about as far as it got. That's likely to change a bit based on suggestions above. The coding style is intended to match osCommerce as much as possible. I try to comment things as I go, so you can get some idea from reading the code.

From what you've said, this should work well for your store. That's pretty much what I had in mind for the filters. If you want to see my prototype store with the filters, PM me and I'll give you a link. If you'd like to write up a requirements list, feel free to send it to me or post here.

I haven't been working on this much; life has been getting in the way. I hope to do some more this evening. I'll post an updated version as soon as it's working well enough to be worth doing.

Regards

Jim

Hello Jim,

As you recommended I have made a new install of osCommerce for testing this contribution.

During installation I saw the following in the SQL script:

INSERT INTO `configuration_group` (`configuration_group_id`, `configuration_group_title`, `configuration_group_description`, `sort_order`,`visible`) VALUES (
NULL , 'Products Specifications', 'Products Specifications configuration options', '1610', '1');

This script does not assign the value '1610' to 'configuration_group_id' but to 'sort_order'. Value 'NULL' which is used in the script results in an auto_increment of 'configuration_group_id'. To make sure 1610 is used, the correct script should be:

INSERT INTO `configuration_group` (`configuration_group_id`, `configuration_group_title`, `configuration_group_description`, `sort_order`,`visible`) VALUES (
'1610' , 'Products Specifications', 'Products Specifications configuration options', '1610', '1');

OK, this was a minor. Hope you'll find time to continue your work on this contribution.

Regards,

Jerome

Thanks; I missed that. I should probably rebuild the SQL file, or at least check it from my database, before I release this. I keep changing things in the development database and forget to fix my errors in the file.

Regards

Jim

Looked at the contribution and like to share the following idea.

It would be great if certain specifications could be filtered by multi-selection. For instance a sweater from any manufacturer but only in blue and/or green. I am thinking of checkboxes or click on/off selecetion or something.

Regards,

Jerome

Edited by JvdP

I already have several ideas for how filters should work. I really need to write this down. For now, here is where we stand:

1. Exact match. This would be the most common use, where the customer selects an item from a list. Examples: Manufacturer.

2. Multiple match. As suggested by Jerome, this would be the same as #1 except it should be possible to select multiple items. This could be a multiselect pulldown or a set of checkboxes. Example: Colors.

3. Range. The customer would select a range and all products whose specification fit in that range would be selected. Example: Price $100-$200.

4. Reverse range. The customer would select a single item, but the products have a range of values, so any products that include the customer's selection in their range would show up. Example: I select the model year 1996 for my truck, and get a part that fits 1995-2000 models.

5. Partial match start: The customer selects a single string and gets all products that start with that string. Example: The customer selects A and gets all books whose title starts with A. Useful for anything that can be alphabetized.

6. Partial match: Same as #5 except the string can be anywhere in the product specification. Example: Customer enters part of an author's name and gets all authors whose name contains that string. Note that this is similar to a search, except we are limiting to a single specification and not the general product description.

7. Soundex/Levenshtein/Metaphone/etc. This could be used in place of #6 for better (?) results. I don't know how many people would want this, but I think it could be useful for searches where customers can't spell. From looking at my search logs, that's most of them.

8. Image. The customer selects an image and gets all products that match that specification. Example: Color chips. Again, I don't know if this is useful enough to be worth doing.

Any more? Comments on this list? If you need one or more of these, now's the time to put your vote in.

Regards

Jim

Sounds great so far.

Absolutly no doubt table products_specifications should be the core table for this contribution. Maybe to early at this stage, but I that made me thought about the following idea:

It would be intresting if certain specifications could be linked to other product properties in other tables. I think the manufacturer should not be entered twice: both as manufacturers in the products table and as specification. Not to mention contradictions may occur.

At the moment, I am thinking of other tables, like product_atributes and specials, besides manufacturers. Specials means filter only products with a discount, a product property that has not been entered during the initial creation of a product. This could actually be an true/false filter.

These product properties might be linked to the products_specifications table using the product_id field in those tables. Maybe some possibilities?

Jerome

I had thought of including some of the regular product fields by reference. That's what the products_column_name field in the specification_description table is for. It would contain the name of a field in the products or products_description table. Those could then be incorporated without having to enter the data twice.

I hadn't thought about the attributes or specials tables, but that's certainly a possibility. Any filtering on price should have the option of including the specials price, as well. OK, more things to add to the list.

Regards

Jim

For filtering here is a good example

http://www.sizinmagaza.com/telefonlar-cep-...nu-c-21_27.html

It is in Turkish, so filter area "Ozellikler" is changing according to product group/category. For example for mobile phones you see bluetooth, gps, wi-fi properties, etc to be filtered in that certain category. When we go in Computer category filter selections appears different accordingly..

Also product comparing feature is available powered by ajax. So when you click check box next to button comparison items box lists comparable products on top right corner under shopping cart box.

Top manufacturers selection is the stock oscommerce manufacturer filter feature.

For filtering here is a good example

It certainly has the right functionality. I would prefer a possible replacement of the catalog menu. Have some Dutch links here:

http://www.woods.nl/

http://www.kleertjes.com/

The last one also includes the number of products resulting after filtering. Both are javascripts, but I think it must be possible to create it according the principles of Jim.

Jerome