Photo
- - - - -

XAMPP to cPanel and Fantastico Pre-Installation Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1   Tony Awards

Tony Awards
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:28

I have some questions regarding the installation of osCommerce to my existing site. I have been configuring it offline in XAMPP and want to upload it to my host (who uses the standard Linux-based cPanel). Is it easier to use the cPanel Fantastico installer and then upload the database I created, or do a clean installation of osc straight into my site?

I want a separate folder (mysite.com/catalog) for navigation. If I rename the catalog folder once it’s uploaded, will that mess up the internals? And, as I understand it, the basic steps for all this would be to create a mySQL database, and then begin the web-based installation process (or use Fantastico).

Also, I will be using the PayPal Website Standard module – can I install that first and then upload, or should that go on after the catalog is live?

And finally, I will want to add the ‘Quantity Price Breaks Per Product’ add-on module – how does add-on installation work in general, and again, is it better to do that after it’s all live?

Sorry for the basic questions – I’m very new to all this. I searched the forums but didn’t find answers to my particular questions, so if I’m wasting time and space here, perhaps a quick link to where I should have looked would certainly help.

Thank you all!

Tony

#2   Tony Awards

Tony Awards
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 20:28

Well, I did get my new OSC installation up and running using the cPanel fantastico installer. It worked very smoothly and the site appears to be healthy. First time I have used Fantastico, and I must say I was impressed. After a database import it all looks good.

As for my other questions in the first post, most of them have answered themselves since the installation worked.

I still have some questions about contributions and add-ons, but that likely belongs in another thread.

Sorry for being all over the map with the first post: too many unrelated questions in one post, I'm afraid.

Tony