Google XML Sitemap SEO

• Please log in to reply
1411 replies to this topic

#1401 ONLINE   Jack_mcs

Jack_mcs
  • Members
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 23:45

I assume you mean the pages site map since that is what the setting in admin is for. In that case, it should be any page that shouldn't be listed in the search engines. There is an internal list that blocks the obvious ones, like the checkout pages. But there may be a page specific to your site that you don't want listed. The best thing to do is to create the pages map file and then go through it to see if there are any that shouldn't be. In general, any page that requires a login should not be listed.

#1402 ONLINE   Jack_mcs

Jack_mcs
  • Members
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:02

A new version has been uploaded with these changes:

- Updated the sitemap schemas.
- Added an image sitemap.
- Added a mobile sitemap.
- Changed the input box for excluding pages for the pages map to make it easier to see.
- Fixed some coding mistakes that caused Article Manager topics not to be displayed correctly.
- Removed the alternate sitemap option.
- Changed the output when the script is ran manually.

#1403   Roaddoctor

Roaddoctor
  • Members
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:46

@Jack_mcs

2.3.4 standard, your new version 1.8. I do not have iOSC installed, 

I'm getting full failure for every type, like

Save Path /
WS_CAT    /
ERROR: Google Product Sitemap Generation FAILED!

The queries work fine

The next section like -

[0] => Array
                (
                    [file] => /sitemapproducts.xml
                    [status] => failure
                    [file_exists] => false

sitemap.class.php, If I replace this:

if (($pos = strpos(DIR_FS_CATALOG, "googlesitemap")) !== FALSE) { //fix for when path is gotten by dirname($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['SCRIPT_FILENAME'
                    $pos = strlen("googlesitemap");                               //it includes the google sitemap directory so remove it
		    $this->savepath = substr(DIR_FS_CATALOG, 0, - $pos - 1);      //not returning right above - quick fix for now
  		  $this->savepath .= (substr($this->savepath, -1) !== '/') ? '/' : ''; //append a slash if needed
		} else {
	  	  $this->savepath = DIR_FS_CATALOG . (substr(DIR_FS_CATALOG, -1) !== '/') ? '/' : '';
                }
                $this->base_url = $domain_name;

reverting back to this, everything completes successfully - but I haven't tested further

$this->savepath = DIR_FS_CATALOG;
		$this->base_url = HTTP_SERVER . DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG;

Also,

I have Enable mobile Map set to False, yet the generated sitemapindex.xml file is containing the mobile entries, such as

<sitemap>
		<loc>http://www.mydomain.com/sitemap_mobileproducts.xml</loc>
		<lastmod>2015-03-15</lastmod>
	</sitemap>

Last,

Since my site is responsive, my mobile links are the same as the normal links. So should I put my standard domain in the "Mobile URL" field and enable mobile xml maps?

Thank you for the support!

Edited by Roaddoctor, 16 March 2015 - 06:01.

-Dave

#1404 ONLINE   Jack_mcs

Jack_mcs
  • Members
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:44

That first error is probably due to how the DIR_FS_CATALOG is setup in the includes/configure.php file. Is yours set to the actual path (recommended) or it use some php function? The change you made is fine, though, for future releases, I would like to get it fixed.

For the mobile maps, the "Enable Mobile Map" is not used. It was used in my first version of this but later removed. Instead, the mobile url setting determines if the mobile maps are created or not. Leave it blank if you do not want mobile maps to be created. Otherwise, put the full url for your shop there. I needed to do it this way to make the code compatible with all possible mobile url's.  I apologize for the mistakes and poor instructions .

#1405   Roaddoctor

Roaddoctor
  • Members
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 13:50

I have   define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/var/www/xxxxx/');

Is there any benefit with Google if you run the mobile maps on a responsive site?

-Dave

#1406   Roaddoctor

Roaddoctor
  • Members
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 13:59

sitemap_mobileimages.xml and sitemapimages.xml are missing from the package - just FYI -easy to fix of course

-Dave

#1407 ONLINE   Jack_mcs

Jack_mcs
  • Members
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 16:06

@Roaddoctor If the url is the same for both the desktop and mobile pages, which they would be in your shop, there is no need to create the mobile sitemaps. The exception is if there is something that shows on the desktop and not the mobile shop, or vice versa. Though that should not happen in a site like yours. For shops that use the mobile addon, or some other method, where the domain name is different, the mobile maps are needed.

Thanks for mentioning the missing files.

#1408   Roaddoctor

Roaddoctor
  • Members
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 16:54

@Roaddoctor The exception is if there is something that shows on the desktop and not the mobile shop, or vice versa. Though that should not happen in a site like yours. For shops that use the mobile addon, or some other method, where the domain name is different, the mobile maps are needed.

Thanks for mentioning the missing files.

oh, but I do - there is Unsemantic Class=hide-on-mobile and hide-on-desktop.... very handy indeed. thank you for the clarifications.

-Dave

#1409 ONLINE   Jack_mcs

Jack_mcs
  • Members
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 16:57

If you are hiding a page, that is OK. But if you are hiding content on a page, you have to be careful since that can be seen as against the search engines rules.

#1410 ONLINE   Tsimi

Tsimi

The King of Avatars

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:18

@Jack_mcs

Hi Jack

I installed your older v1.7 add-on into my Bootstrap store. Then I generate the sitemaps with the /googlesitemap/index.php URL.

After that it says I should confirm that the generated sitemaps are correct before I submit them to google.

There is where my problem starts, when I look at the /sitemapcategories.xml it doesn't fetch the correct category names.

Don't know why but it shows the category names of older links. For example;

Old link

xxxxx/chopsticks-c-22.html

But it should say

xxxxx/japanese-chopsticks-c-22.html

Does this has something to do with the URL SEO addon? (Using your URL SEO Addon)

Does it even matter at all? The links are not broken, so clicking on the old name link works.

Edited by Tsimi, 24 March 2015 - 04:22.

"real music was erased from existence in the mid 90's"

#1411 ONLINE   Jack_mcs

Jack_mcs
  • Members
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:23

I don't know what might cause that. I've installed this into a number of shops, including my own, and never had that problem. Being a BS shop shouldn't matter since the part of the code responsible for that is the same. All I can suggest is that you use the cache clear or uninstall option in Ultimate SEO to see if that helps.

#1412 ONLINE   Tsimi

Tsimi

The King of Avatars

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 13:05

@Jack_mcs

Thanks for your reply Jack.

I set the permission for the googlesitmap folder and all its containing sub-folders and files to 755 and gave it another try.....and it seems to be working correct now.

All URLs are correct with the correct latest modified date. Same goes for the products. I re-submited the Sitemaps to Google now.

I have no idea as to why it was fetching the old stuff and from where...but as long it works...maybe some things are just meant to be a mystery.

I also had trouble with the cron, if you recall. Will set it up again and I have a feeling that it might work out this time. *fingerscrossed*

Edited by Tsimi, 24 March 2015 - 13:05.

"real music was erased from existence in the mid 90's"