• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Family Products v 1.0

blueline

Family Products v 1.0

Hey everyone. I just released version 1.0 of Family Products. This allows you to go into your admin controls, and assign your products a "family" value, just as you would a "model #" value. By doing this you are able to group like products, or complimentary products.

When the customer clicks on a product and is brought to product_info.php they will see everything that is currently supposed to be there, but they will also see a new infoBox underneath the product. Here all of your products that contain the same "family" value as your product being looked at will appear.

I hope you all enjoy, and let me know if there is anything wrong....as this is my first contribution. I hope you all find it useful.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,895

Thanks,

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this replace the "customer who bought this also purchased" infor box?

If so, I think that this is a great contribution.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Sounds like cross-selling...

For instance say you sell Video Games. Well one popular video game for the Nintendo Gamecube is called Animal Crossing. So you could assign that to a family. Nintendo also sells different add-ons for Animal Crossing. These include memory cards with items, cards with items, a game guide.

If you assign all of these to the same Family, the shopper will be more inclined to purchase additional items. That is just one example. It could be applied to almost anything with complimentary items.

If it works this way, it is a much better feature than the "Also Purchased" box.

I was hoping to get this kind of response...especially since this is my first contribution ever. Actually...first real PHP script ever.

Yes, it does replace the "Customers also purchased' box...and yes, it does kind of hold the same use as Cross-sell.....but it's much much easier to maintain...as you control your "families" from your osC admin.

screenshot.gif

*just incase screenshot doesn't load.

http://www.bluelinehifi.com/screenshot.gif

I would like to get some downloads going, and have you guys tell me what you think of the module.

I hope everyone finds it useful.

Thanks,

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

Hi Chris,

Great to see you got this working, and I bet it has greatly improved your php/mysql knowledge.

Sure this is similar to the xsell mod, but yours also gives a simple admin as well.

Only thing I would say is that maybe you should change the title of the infobox. instead of

Customers who have purchased ...........

to something like

Related products you may also be interested in

Trust me, I'm an Accountant.

I'd hate to see the size of that screenshot on 640x480 Chris :shock:

Might want to scale it down a bit :D

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

Hi,

nice addition, install instructions need a bit of work ( tep_draw_seperator instead of tep_draw_separator in the changes.txt ) and i didnt see any mention of the filename and table defines.

Still only took 5-10 mins of tweaking to get working (even with a massively modified product_info and categories file).

Many thanks for your work, im gonna tweak the output to fit my site and use it for sure ! :)

Cheers

Matt

Ian-

You are definitely right when it comes to experience. I have learned SO MUCH.

Good idea. For all of those who would like to change that text, simply open the /catalog/includes/languages/english/poduct_info.php file and edit the TEXT_FAMILY_PRODUCTS value.

Mattice-

I took your advice and scaled the pic above to a smaller size. For those of you who do want a bigger screenshot you can access it here: http://www.bluelinehifi.com/screenshot2.gif

By the way, thanks a lot to the both of you for helping me along this rigorious task of learning, and finally developing.

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

Matt-

Glad you like it. I simply put the changes file in there for those who have already modified the files included, and needed to know exactly what changes to make.

If you follow the installation file it makes it very simple.

Again, glad I helped out.

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

one thing i noticed, it shows 'disabled' products, im sure just a change to the query to change this ? (im slowly getting the hang of this php, very slowly!:))

Havent seen the queries but you should add

and product_status = 1 to it so it only uses active prods.

Mattice

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

Matt-

Nice. I am very excited to see it in action...on the net...and not only on my local machine.

This is great. If there is anything else that I can do...let me know.

*I just thought of something...It just occured to me that if you click on a product that isn't associated with a "family"...there are gonna be problems.

I will have that fixed tonight....

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

cool thanks, will try that now.

Just noticed, on my site anyway, that if there are no related products, the heading still shows (http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=28 for example).

nice that the 'also purchased' box will display if there are no related products, and hide itself if there are, cool :)

would be good to get rid of the heading if there are no related products though, or did i just mess something up when installing?

Cheers (again)

Matt

Matt, that will be the actual heading in the address bar because osC needs to understand what product you are trying to look at. By having the address:

That tells osC that you want more info about products # 28. That has nothing to do with the family products mod.

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

Mattice, I went ahead and rewrote some code in the products_family.php file. Is it ok to just reupload it as contribution Family Products v 1.1?

Thanks,

-Chris

Yes and no, you should ADD it to the existing 'tree' of version 1.0

Go here: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...y,5/action,file

Regards,

Mattice

Got it thanks :)

I always seem to pst a few seconds after you answer my question :) (wish we could edit our posts here)

only thing was it is still selecting all products, even is disabled, i changed it by modifying the quesry in family_products.php to:

$my_query = tep_db_query("select products_family, products_id, products_image from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " where products_id != '" . $currentid . "' and products_family = '" . $thisquery['products_family'] . "' and products_status='1'");

One other question, from my limited knowledge of php and looking at the family_products file i can't see that there is any limit to the number of products displayed ? (i could well be wrong of course), things could get a bit messy on sites with larger product inventories.

Thanks again for your time, and answering my questions so quickly!

Matt....this is something that I still need to work on. I have a few different variations of this module that I am toying with. Hopefully I will get some free time to sit down as the variations that I am working on are 10 times harder.

But for now you are definitely right. There is no limit to how many product are shown. This is something that I will try and address tonight as well.

Thanks for the heads up,

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

I know this is a bit off topic but not entirely. Has anyone thought of doing a related item contribution with Ian's discount class to provide the same sort of functionality as Amazon?

amazon.gif

I think this would be a great upselling mod but lack the time to accomplish it. Just throwing out ideas. What do you think?[/img]

Hey. That's doable, and a good idea, but I don't know that a lot of people would get much use out of it. See, in a situation like that, you have to provide a 1product - to - 1product relationship. Even after the mod is built, it would take the shopowner LOTS of time to go in and set all of those relationships.

This is purely my thinking on the topc. If someone has a better way of doing this, please share.

-Chris

Chris Sullivan