• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Site Redesign Including New Checkout Process

gretchenwf

I have completely redesigned my women's clothing website. As part of this process, I have created a 1 or two page checkout (depending on whether you have an account). If you have an account and are signed in, there is just one page. If you want to create an account (or not, as I have PWA installed) there is one page to enter billing and shipping info, and then one page to review, choose shipping, enter payment, and checkout. I have seen other 1 page contributions, but I always felt like they went on forever. Both pages in this checkout (at the right monitor resolution) can be seen in full without scrolling.

As I have been the only tester so far, I would love it if a few of you could make an account or go through the purchase process. If you are kind enough to do so, please include the word "test" in your name somewhere so I can get rid of them later. Also, just use the credit card number 4111 1111 1111 1111 with any valid expration date.

Comments about overall function and aesthetics are appreciated as well.

Thank you so much in advance to those of you who take the time to provide feedback and opinions.

The site is here: Turquoise Boutique

Gretchen

It has been brought to my attention that the shopping cart is using the full price even when there is a sale price set. I will work on getting that corrected.

Gretchen

I just did a quick look, and was not able to get Denim Army Cargo Skirt to add to the cart, although other items would.

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

I just did a quick look, and was not able to get Denim Army Cargo Skirt to add to the cart, although other items would.

Thanks, GL. I have an idea as to what's causing that. I'll take a look first thing in the morning.

Gretchen

Thanks, GL. I have an idea as to what's causing that. I'll take a look first thing in the morning.

Gretchen

Glcustoms, just the size small not adding to cart.

You should noticed your customers to select size, at least pop-up message (javascript?) and not redirect to shopping cart page.

I really like the two page checkout, very nice! Which contribution you used?

Glcustoms, just the size small not adding to cart.

You should noticed your customers to select size, at least pop-up message (javascript?) and not redirect to shopping cart page.

I really like the two page checkout, very nice! Which contribution you used?

The problem with not adding to the cart is actually not item specific (I don't think). If you click on any item and then click on add to cart really fast, like as soon as the button is there, the product won't add. I am working on a fix.

About the customer selecting sizes. I am curious to get people's feedback on this. I used to have it start with "Please Select", but I feel like that is just extra clicks. I can't really do a javascript thing either, because what if someone really wanted whatever the color/size default was? They will see in their cart what size they added, so what does everyone think the best, most efficient way of handling that is?

As far as the checkout goes, it is not a contribution. I wrote it.

Gretchen

My checkout went through smooth and without a hitch. Very nice! Site is just as smooth....kudos Gretchen!

Thanks so much for taking the time to do that! I really appreciate it.

And YAY!! It worked for you too (:

Gretchen

I had given up on looking at other stores because honestly, most of them are awful.

Yours is definately the exception. What a fantastic store. You did a wonderful job customizing it and getting rid of the standard osc look. Kudos!

There are just a couple of very minor things that I'd change:

1. Get a new search icon. You are still using the one that came with osc (\catalog\includes\languages\english\images\buttons\button_quick_find.gif)

2. The shopping cart still looks a bit like osc. Just changing the grey header bar may help.

3. It might look better with larger css-based number boxes to select pages where product listing is split into multiple pages.

This is, hands down, the best site I have seen in quite a while. Be sure to go to clubosc.com and list it in burt's top 100 if you haven't already!

I had given up on looking at other stores because honestly, most of them are awful.

Yours is definately the exception. What a fantastic store. You did a wonderful job customizing it and getting rid of the standard osc look. Kudos!

1. Get a new search icon. You are still using the one that came with osc (\catalog\includes\languages\english\images\buttons\button_quick_find.gif)

2. The shopping cart still looks a bit like osc. Just changing the grey header bar may help.

3. It might look better with larger css-based number boxes to select pages where product listing is split into multiple pages.

This is, hands down, the best site I have seen in quite a while. Be sure to go to clubosc.com and list it in burt's top 100 if you haven't already!

Thanks so much, php_guy. I have certainly put time and effort into this site, so it's nice to hear that it is paying off.

Good comments. I have been thinking about the shopping cart and page numbers thing quite a bit. Knowing that you saw them too makes me think they definitely need to be changed. I will work on that. Thanks for pointing out the search image too, I hadn't even thought of that when switching buttons, etc.

Thanks!!

Gretchen

Very well done, would you mind to share or make a contribution, as many will benefit? Thanks

I am certainly open to the idea, but I have no idea how to go about doing that. Is there a guide or something about how to do contributions?

Gretchen

i thiknk you might be able to add a lot of functionality and better browsing if you make the links at the top drop down menus.. that way i wouldnt HAVE to click through each subcategory

Also, i your "find your style" should have a way to make it go faster or slower. I got bored looking through all of them.. and then i clicked one, and it took me to an outfit, but the main part of the outfit was not forsale. it was the tweed jacket and tabbed jeans outfit

otherwise its a nice looking site. you did A LOT of good stuff with your instore advertisements and graphics.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

It has been brought to my attention that the shopping cart is using the full price even when there is a sale price set. I will work on getting that corrected.

Gretchen

This issue has been fixed. Now I can work on the product not adding to cart issue.

Gretchen

The problem with not adding to the cart is actually not item specific (I don't think). If you click on any item and then click on add to cart really fast, like as soon as the button is there, the product won't add. I am working on a fix.

About the customer selecting sizes. I am curious to get people's feedback on this. I used to have it start with "Please Select", but I feel like that is just extra clicks. I can't really do a javascript thing either, because what if someone really wanted whatever the color/size default was? They will see in their cart what size they added, so what does everyone think the best, most efficient way of handling that is?

As far as the checkout goes, it is not a contribution. I wrote it.

Gretchen

I have fixed the item not adding to cart problem. Thanks for those who helped identify it.

I'm definitely still open for suggestions about how to handle the customer choosing attributes.

Gretchen

You have this little problem with SSL:

Google-analytics and SSL, They don't play nice together

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I finally got around to making these changes. I changed the search image to a button. I didn't make the page numbers larger, but I did change their design a bit. I also took out the background color in the header of the shopping cart. I would like to do some more customization there, but I think it looks better for now.

Thanks again for the input.

Gretchen

Thanks Germ. Taken care of.

Gretchen

I made a little change on the site and I am curious if I brought back this problem. I am not getting the secure/unsecure error, but I would like to know if others are.

Please let me know if you get a security warning on any pages.

Thank you!

Gretchen

where are you getting the error?? What changes did you make?

are you hosting ANY images off of your regular domain?

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

where are you getting the error?? What changes did you make?

are you hosting ANY images off of your regular domain?

I am not getting the error. I was just curious if anyone else was.

Worked good for me, what checkout contrib did you use? Or, did you develop it. I would change the default to United States in the acccount signup form, just a little annoying dragging down to the United States to click it.

Steve

Steve

I appreciate all the help that everyone on this site has given me!

Worked good for me, what checkout contrib did you use? Or, did you develop it. I would change the default to United States in the acccount signup form, just a little annoying dragging down to the United States to click it.

Steve

Thanks very much for taking the time to look through the site. I developed the checkout using amazon's final checkout page as inspiration.

Great idea about having US default. That is something that got lost on the to do list long ago (: I will get that done asap.

Gretchen

Archived