Photo
- - - - -

Reset Admin Username and Password

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1   caryne444

caryne444
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:01

I've migrated my site to another host and now the Admin username/password does not work. In what file can I reset the Admin Username and Password?

Thanks!

#2   FIMBLE

FIMBLE
  • Members
  • 6,604 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:22

Hi Karen what version of osc are you using?
Sometimes you're the dog and sometimes the lamp post

My Contributions

#3   kevinrys

kevinrys
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:33

Hi Karen what version of osc are you using?

I am also having this problem. Currently using RC 2.2 or something around there i believe. I used to be able to do this very easily. Something like clearing the username and password columns in the administrator table in phpMyAdmin, then I could simply input new values on the login.php page.

If you can give me instructions on this, or another simple way to change the username/password it would be much appreciated.

I've had people say you can edit the value through phpmyadmin and input a new encrypted password, but I dont see where exactly to put in this new value, nor do I see an old one.

help please!

#4   ctec2001

ctec2001
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:37

I've migrated my site to another host and now the Admin username/password does not work. In what file can I reset the Admin Username and Password?

Thanks!

If I am not mistaken, you have to edit the config.php under Admin.
Do or Do Not, there is no try.

#5   kevinrys

kevinrys
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:57

If I am not mistaken, you have to edit the config.php under Admin.

If it was a problem loading his mysql database, but for the password to the admin login it is saved differently.

#6   kevinrys

kevinrys
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 18:42

still cant figure this out...

#7   ziggy13

ziggy13
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:27

I have the exact same problem. I am using osCommerce 1.5 though...

I migrated to a new server and everything works fine except the /admin username and password did not migrate with the rest of the site. I now do not have access to my /admin and I really need to get in there to ship some orders. Anyone know what to do?

thanks a lot.

#8   kevinrys

kevinrys
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 17:55

I have the exact same problem. I am using osCommerce 1.5 though...

I migrated to a new server and everything works fine except the /admin username and password did not migrate with the rest of the site. I now do not have access to my /admin and I really need to get in there to ship some orders. Anyone know what to do?

thanks a lot.

i believe older versions store passwords in .htaccess files. check the .htpasswds folder in the root directory of your ftp client and see if there is an admin folder in there, then try editing the file associated with it and look to see if the password is in there. If that dosnt work check the admin folder in your osc setup and edit the .htaccess file in there.

Edited by kevinrys, 08 July 2008 - 18:00.

#9   FIMBLE

FIMBLE
  • Members
  • 6,604 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 18:08

i believe older versions store passwords in .htaccess files. check the .htpasswds folder in the root directory of your ftp client and see if there is an admin folder in there, then try editing the file associated with it and look to see if the password is in there. If that dosnt work check the admin folder in your osc setup and edit the .htaccess file in there.

You should be able to do this through your webs site control panel, under password protect directories or similar
Nic
Sometimes you're the dog and sometimes the lamp post

My Contributions

#10   kevinrys

kevinrys
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 18:34

You should be able to do this through your webs site control panel, under password protect directories or similar
Nic

Yup

Anyone know what to do with 2.2 though?

#11   kevinrys

kevinrys
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 19:46

Yup

Anyone know what to do with 2.2 though?

Answer: http://www.clubosc.c...ock-horror.html

#12   RobMcP

RobMcP
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 13:20

Answer: http://www.clubosc.c...ock-horror.html

Newbie response to similar problem.

I didn't follow any of that, if you've lost your admin login, just delete oscommerce and reload it! Viz Top Tip

Is there no simple explanation for this? Many systems send a reminder mail, nothing like that on os?

If you have no idea how .htaccess or config.php works you're stuck, as passwords / users are not going to be in plain text for obvious reasons.
Any other ideas? Thx.

#13   burt

burt

Vanquisher of Demons

• Community Team
  • 9,807 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 13:24

RC:

open up phpmyadmin
empty the admininstrators table
revisit your admin section.

Pre RC:
Amend htaccess in website hosting control panel

Thats not difficult at all, is it?
IF YOU MAKE A POST REQUESTING HELP...please state the exact version of osCommerce that you are using. THANKS

Big Bang Templates for 2.3 osCommerce - 2.3.1 > 2.3.4 - Buy One, Get One Free

--
Making your osCommerce better, one module at a time - get in touch.

#14   mdtaylorlrim

mdtaylorlrim
  • Members
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 20:36

Newbie response to similar problem.

I didn't follow any of that, if you've lost your admin login, just delete oscommerce and reload it! Viz Top Tip

Is there no simple explanation for this? Many systems send a reminder mail, nothing like that on os?

If you have no idea how .htaccess or config.php works you're stuck, as passwords / users are not going to be in plain text for obvious reasons.
Any other ideas? Thx.

If you use the older versions of osC, or even if you have a new version with the admin directory protected by .htaccess then the way to reset your password is this:

Log in to your website cPanel. Select the admin directory and select remove directory passwords. Then, select the directory and select Password Protect Directory. Put in your new username and password.

If you do not have a cPanel then looking in the .htaccess file it will say exactly where your password file is. Say it is at /public/your_site/passwords
On a command line enter htpass /public/your_site/passwords username
where username is the name of the administrator you want to use. Press return and it will prompt you for a new password.

Very few persons have command line access. But if you do, this will fix your problem. If you do not have cPanel nor command line access then how did you protect the directory in the first place? Call your host. They can fix it for you.
Avoid the most asked question. See How to Secure My Site and How do I...?

#15   yansfung

yansfung
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:57

Hi Karen!

It may be too late to replay since I got the same situation like your case to migrate a shop to a new box.

My solution is:

1). install a blank new oscommerce 2.2 to a directory other than the production one.
2). Create an "Admin" account with new known password (it doesn't matter whether both the new or old "Admin" IDs are the same).
3). Use Webmin (my favour web admin tools. PhpAdmin or other similar is OK for you) to copy the encrypted password string from the newly created "blank shop" admin table to the migrated production shop.
4). Cheers !!!
YaNotCook !!

#16   14steve14

14steve14
  • Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 21:53

I have just had a similar problem. My user name and password although it had been working, no longer worked. I tried the add on suggested earlier, and by resetting it using phpmyadmin. Neither worked. In the end i had to totally delete the administrators table from the database. I re installed the table using the section from the sql file in a standard install of oscommerce. Hey presto when i then tried to enter a new password and user name it worked. I just wish i knew what went wrong.
REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Don't take life too seriously. no one gets out alive anyway

#17   Proenski

Proenski
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 14:48

I've upgraded my shop from 2.2 MS2 to 2.2 RC2a using the contribution however I can not login to the admin part of the shop anymore. I know that in MS2 there was no administrators table so I copied it from another RC2a shop I have running. I emptied the table and went to the admin section (as described in this topic and http://www.clubosc.c...ock-horror.html ) but I still cannot login, nor was I asked to create an administrator account...

No idea what to do next, anyone??

#18   npn2531

npn2531
  • Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 20:51

This contribution, simple install, will quickly reset the password.

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5857

It works so well it worries me.

#19   npn2531

npn2531
  • Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 20:58

Oh wait, you have the author of this contribution, Nic, (FIMBLE) online.

Nic, I have a question, does the fact your contribution work so easily, say anything about the security of the admin password system?

#20   Proenski

Proenski
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 13:45

This contribution, simple install, will quickly reset the password.

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5857

It works so well it worries me.

Thanks, this worked. I didn't get offered to enter a new admin password but I could login with the old one...