• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is it illegal to resell osCommerce?

noname1981

I currently sell OsCommerce websites. I do not charge for the OsCommerce software, but I do charge for my time to configure my customers site. Having said that, if the person that you are speaking about configures the site in anyway, than I don't think that person is breaking any laws.

If it were illegal, you wouldnt see osCommerce as popular as it is, and there would be even more osCommerce sites echoing the famous "Lets See What We Have Here" and sporty blue look.

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

to me, GLP software should be shared. it's fair enough to charge for the configuration but it shouldn't be a common practice, should it?

GLP's support is widely available from community. so, configuration isn't really that hard. i dunno. i'm just not comfortable with it. :blush:

to me, GLP software should be shared. it's fair enough to charge for the configuration but it shouldn't be a common practice, should it?

GLP's support is widely available from community. so, configuration isn't really that hard. i dunno. i'm just not comfortable with it. :blush:

For you configuration may not be that hard, and thestock admin configuration is pretty much strait foward, but for many people who need an online shop, web design and coding are a tough battle. The software may be open source and the support may lie here, but the human that puts the software together for someone has a good chance of lingering here, searching for answers and answering questions as well. And many the same human donates contributions to the project making it what it is. If the human takes the open source software and builds it for everyone for free, then the human just may starve, while the new site owner thrives. Thats something to be uncomfortable about. None the less open source is profitable to all or it just would not be. open source software is an excellent way to boost economy worldwide, now thats a real gift we all can benifit from.

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Everyone I know who sells Os Commerce does it the same way, they sell there time.

The software is free. Any moron can download it but a lot of people don't know what to do with it so some people will offer to set it up, customize it and maintain it for a fee.

This is 100% legal. This is what your paying for when you buy OS Commerce, not the software itself but the time the person you buy it from puts into it.

Not only is it NOT illegal, you are ENCOURAGED to try to make money by selling GPL software.

un-modified version is illegal to sell, but if the oscommerce contains several contribution - it is legal to sell, examples are cube cart, CRE Loaded (loaded with contribution by CRE team) few other carts.

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

I also do commercial installs, configuration, set-up customization of osCommerce, and as other have stated i do not charge for the software itself.

You are actually allowed to charge for distributing the software itself too. But doing so would probably land you alot of angry customers aswell as a browser warning from MaCafee (for those who have SiteAdvisor installed that is) about you selling software which is available elsewhere for free... :lol:

This is an excerpt from the GNU website:

The word “free” has two legitimate general meanings; it can refer either to freedom or to price. When we speak of “free software”, we're talking about freedom, not price. (Think of “free speech”, not “free beer”.) Specifically, it means that a user is free to run the program, change the program, and redistribute the program with or without changes.

Free programs are sometimes distributed gratis, and sometimes for a substantial price. Often the same program is available in both ways from different places. The program is free regardless of the price, because users have freedom in using it.

Read more...

I sell osC sites that I have modified or added custom code to the core base (or even loaded with freely distributed contributions). Nothing wrong with this at all.

Some store owners want to stick to "running the store" and leave template design and code work to their developer. The part that I sell is truly the service that I provide, whether that be installing a stock osC or a customized version.

I think this is a common practise and is 100% within the GPL license.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

• 8 months later...

I'm sorry that the topic is quite old... but I can't find any new discussion about it.

Recently I found in a webcompany portfolio a lot of oscommerce websites (not stating it was "oscommerce") having the link

"powered by oscommerce" removed also in admin login screen (with "powered by <name of company>").

Is this illegal? In open source software, who has the right to "claim the ownership" toward the company? The project leader?

I asked it in another forum but they pointed me here :)

In open source software, who has the right to "claim the ownership" toward the company? The project leader?
It's the same as closed source. The copyright holder is the owner. In this case, that would be the project itself. The files are all copyright osCommerce. I don't know how Harald has the project ownership set up, but treating him as the owner has always seemed to work.

In terms of the legality of selling osCommerce with the Powered by osCommerce removed, the project is GPLed. The powered by osCommerce cannot be required under the advertising clause. What is required is the copyright notice. They can only remove the copyright notice from the HTML if they remove all the content under copyright (primarily the little images). They cannot remove the copyright notices from the files. They must distribute under the GPL and not another license.

Whether they are selling it or not is irrelevant. They could be giving the code away and they would still have to comply with the GPL and copyright law in general. If you really think that they are violating the osCommerce copyright, you could contact Harald, but it is unlikely that they are. They are probably minimally complying with the terms. To determine if they are, someone would have to buy a template and check the copyrights and attached license. I suspect that Harald would want to wait until someone could report to him that the templates were missing copyright and/or license before taking any action.

Always back up before making changes.

• 5 months later...

I don't think its fair for people to resell osCommerce; i understand providing custom programming and custom design services and support on how to use it.. but reselling the application itself should be a huge no and a huge slap in the fast to the community that helped build it. I have worked with osCommerce since 2004 and contributed alot to the application. if someone ended selling my ideas i'm kind of insulted.

i found this company selling osCommerce to music companies. http://www.pro-activewebsites.com/

George’s Music http://georgesmusiconline.com

Chuck Levin’s Washington Music http://www.buyfromchucks.com

The Music Farm http://www.themusicfarm.com

Beatstreet Music http://www.beatstreetmusic.net

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think its fair for people to resell osCommerce;

It may (or may not) be in accordance with osC's license to sell unmodified code. So be it. If it's permitted (selling the software itself, not just services, templates, etc.), what's the problem? If I am physically capable of cleaning my house, but choose to hire a maid or cleaning service (so I have more time to do other things), should I be ostracized? Selling unmodified osC might be a bit unethical, if the seller leads buyers to believe that he's the only source (i.e., they can't get it for free), but if a customer doesn't want to spend the time and effort to obtain a copy and is willing to pay someone else for their time, so be it. Besides, 1) there are plenty of places to bury the "price" of osC in a services contract, 2) you'll want to get a fresh copy yourself, of known vintage and provenance (maybe the customer got his copy off of Bill's Warez Site), and 3) some customers won't trust software that they don't pay good money for. Strange, but true. You actually can't tell some businesses "the software is free, I'm just charging for my time to install and configure." They'll tell you it must be a piece of crap, and they demand you buy something from Microsoft.

if someone ended selling my ideas i'm kind of insulted.

Then don't contribute to open source projects -- just sell your code.

• 1 year later...

as i said in another related thread:

Sure! whoever can sell code, encode his own created code that is called by oscommerce etc...

Is up to the customer buy your script or not, the customer has the right to know that the framework is !oscommerce!, knowing that the framework comes from oscommerce and this is free; the customer has the option to download the free code from oscommerce page and make all the modification, new modules etc by himself.. doing that for "free".

Or, he can buy a modified store saving hours and hours of work and tests; knowing that if he got partial encoded source, he can not profit himself by reselling the modified code, or giving up for free to thousand of persons, in detriment of the coder who invested hours and hours moddifing code.

Jason,

Responding to a 2 yr old thread is redundant...but, would be more useful if your quoted response made sense.

Chris

• 5 months later...

Arana,

If you have submitted your 'ideas' under GPL on this forum, then anyone can use and redistribute the scripts. To clarify, people who 'sell' osCommerce aren't actually selling the GPL software, they are selling their time it took to integrate all of the contributions into a functioning cart.

Chris

Arana,

If you have submitted your 'ideas' under GPL on this forum, then anyone can use and redistribute the scripts. To clarify, people who 'sell' osCommerce aren't actually selling the GPL software, they are selling their time it took to integrate all of the contributions into a functioning cart.

Chris

The seller need not make any changes and can still sell osC. If I found someone is willing to pay me I could sell them the cart without making any changes at any time. The GPL allows anyone to sell the software as is, renamed to a new name (without changes) or anything else. What you can not do is change the licensing, encrypt the logic or remove any of the copyrights.

cheers

Peter

Peter McGrath

-----------------------------

See my Profile (click here) for more information and to contact me for professional osCommerce support that includes SEO development, custom development and security implementation

Archived