Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Compressing Pages

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

#21   Coopco

Coopco
  • Members
  • 9,557 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:54

Hello.

Can anyone assist me why my website (www.firstalberta.com) is taking too long time to load the first page/time ?

I applied all suggestions as stated above like turn on GZIP and reduce the image size too.

Please let me know how to tune, it is taking nearly 30 to 40 sec's and i need to load the page in 1 sec.

--
Thanks in Advance,
Kart.

get a faster internet connection, loaded in 3 secs for me.

The Coopco Underwear Shop

If you live to be 100 years of age, that means you have lived for 36,525 days. Don't waste another, there aren't many left.

#22   mrssocolov

mrssocolov
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:53

Sam - Thank you!!!!! Wonderful Tip and just what I was looking for!

- Marlo

Dance as if No One were Watching ~ Sing as if No One were Listening ~ And Live Life everyday as if it were Your Last!

#23   mrssocolov

mrssocolov
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:55

Tulip/Kart - refresh your browser. Loaded quickly for me too....

- Marlo

Dance as if No One were Watching ~ Sing as if No One were Listening ~ And Live Life everyday as if it were Your Last!

#24   Bruin_03

Bruin_03
  • Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:12

Hello.

Can anyone assist me why my website (www.firstalberta.com) is taking too long time to load the first page/time ?

I applied all suggestions as stated above like turn on GZIP and reduce the image size too.

Please let me know how to tune, it is taking nearly 30 to 40 sec's and i need to load the page in 1 sec.

--
Thanks in Advance,
Kart.

Your header graphic is 125KB and your total page is HUGE, including those products under "new Products." YOu really should use multiple product images, as big product pictures take forever to load and even longer to squish. Chechout the multipcs contrib.

#25   spooks

spooks
  • Members
  • 7,017 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:03

Try enabling page parse time so you can see how long your server is taking to set up the page.

If you want one sec, get rid of all those pics & flash at least.
Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

#26   lindsayanng

lindsayanng
  • Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 18:15

yours only took about 4 seconds on my cpu here.
A great place for newbies to start
Road Map to oscommerce File Structure
DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

#27   spooks

spooks
  • Members
  • 7,017 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:52

There has been some talk that using gzip increases the server load which may cause problems if your site has lots of traffic.
However I notice that with gzip enabled page parse time are significantly reduced.

Does anyone have any experiance of any problems using gzip?
Has anyone used gzip, then reverted for some reason.

My research shows that most top sites running on apache servers use gzip, they cant all be wrong.
Some may argue that they can afford the bandwidth so dont need to enable, but that ignores the user with a slow connection that would benifit greatly by the reduced size.

I`ve found a good test site if you wish to check yours: http://www.gidnetwor...s/gzip-test.php
Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

#28   Coopco

Coopco
  • Members
  • 9,557 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 13:26

There has been some talk that using gzip increases the server load which may cause problems if your site has lots of traffic.
However I notice that with gzip enabled page parse time are significantly reduced.

Does anyone have any experiance of any problems using gzip?
Has anyone used gzip, then reverted for some reason.

My research shows that most top sites running on apache servers use gzip, they cant all be wrong.
Some may argue that they can afford the bandwidth so dont need to enable, but that ignores the user with a slow connection that would benifit greatly by the reduced size.

I`ve found a good test site if you wish to check yours: http://www.gidnetwor...s/gzip-test.php

Web page compressed? Yes
Compression type? gzip
Size, Markup (bytes) 61,944
Size, Compressed (bytes) 7,985
Compression % 87.1

Does not mean anything much, except that it confirms the page as being compressed.

The Coopco Underwear Shop

If you live to be 100 years of age, that means you have lived for 36,525 days. Don't waste another, there aren't many left.

#29   dave47

dave47
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:36

Great mod as others have said. but when I was going to do the same to a phpBB forum I run, There's a warning message about enabling Gzip:

"Generated content will be compressed prior to sending it to the user. This can reduce network traffic but will also increase CPU usage on both server and client side."

I take that to mean, that anyone with an old machine their page load times increase?

So I'm not so sure about enabling the mod now?

#30   spooks

spooks
  • Members
  • 7,017 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:05

A 'client' would have to have a very old slow machine to be effected by this, such would be so rare as to of no consequence. A slow connection is far more common & that would benifit.

Any increased load on the server appears to only be an issue where high traffic is an issue, so make your judgment based on that & your servers cpu capability.

As I've said most top sites running on apache servers use gzip, the few using windows (microsoft & some yahoo to my knowledge!) don't as its not an option.

I note this forum uses compression.

/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
Sam

Contributions:

#31   queenzukie

queenzukie
  • Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 00:33

I have all of my sites compressed, however, I just downloaded safari for a quick test and these sites will not load in safari. Once gzip compression is disabled they load perfectly fine without compression. Any ideas as to why that would happen?

#32   32 Degrees

32 Degrees
  • Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:10

Very odd, I turned it on and have had great results in both FireFox & Safari. I am running an iMac. Check out my site at www.13thgreen.com and see if it loads fine for you.
[IMG]http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/4146/plasma.jpg[/IMG]

#33   queenzukie

queenzukie
  • Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 16:51

I've come to suspect its something in my server not sending the correct http headers. I just cant seem to get it figured out. I've googled for 2 days with no success.

#34   spooks

spooks
  • Members
  • 7,017 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 16:53

I've come to suspect its something in my server not sending the correct http headers. I just cant seem to get it figured out. I've googled for 2 days with no success.

Have you submitted your site, to that test page, see if that shows anything odd.
Sam

Contributions:

#35   queenzukie

queenzukie
  • Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 13:45

After some help from others, this is what I've been told. My server is using Apache 2.0. In apache 2, mod_gzip has been replaced by mod_deflate. I've also been told I need to code the site to use mod_deflate rather than gzip. So I was given these two links to try to figure out how to code this myself.

http://www.cpanel.ne...late_module.htm

http://httpd.apache....od_deflate.html

I'm afraid I dont actually have the skill level to accomplish coding this one on my own. So, I guess gzip is off for the moment.

#36   spooks

spooks
  • Members
  • 7,017 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 13:55

After some help from others, this is what I've been told. My server is using Apache 2.0. In apache 2, mod_gzip has been replaced by mod_deflate. I've also been told I need to code the site to use mod_deflate rather than gzip. So I was given these two links to try to figure out how to code this myself.

http://www.cpanel.ne...late_module.htm

http://httpd.apache....od_deflate.html

I'm afraid I dont actually have the skill level to accomplish coding this one on my own. So, I guess gzip is off for the moment.

I think your host is just being lazy, not wanting to set it up, yes apache 2 uses mod_deflate but the compression is still gzip, I have sites on apache 2.2 with no problems using it.
Sam

Contributions:

#37   queenzukie

queenzukie
  • Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 14:01

So, if the mod_deflate is set up correctly on the server, turning on gzip in oscommerce will work?

#38   spooks

spooks
  • Members
  • 7,017 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 17:08

So, if the mod_deflate is set up correctly on the server, turning on gzip in oscommerce will work?

yes, should work fine then.
Sam

Contributions:

#39   azer

azer
  • Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 21:58

after installing fck editor and lot of contrib in my admin i find it s a little bit long to load
i installed the code in my admin application_top , but i go not any clue how effcient is the gzip compression, any experiences ?
MS2

#40   spooks

spooks
  • Members
  • 7,017 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:09

You should see a big increase in speed, there is a test page here

If you used the code from clients side as detailed in that other thread I'm not sure if it will work, I have'nt checked but it may never get activated, use the code I gave above instead.
Sam

Contributions: