Contribution: Auto Backup Database

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#41   dca

dca
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 13:59

No, It should do strait away. What version of PHP do you have?

#42   spooks

spooks
  • Members
  • 7,017 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 14:07

Try the latest version (2.7) its got some extra code to try & get round problems with the older versions of PHP
Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

#43   spooks

spooks
  • Members
  • 7,017 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 16:25

Uploaded V2.8

Having gained access to a server with PHP 4 I`ve finally been able to remove last remaining bug with php 4, it was a little documented variation in a timeing function.

This has now been tested on PHP 4 & 5, SQL 4 & 5, osC 2.2 ms2 & rc1 and is register_globals compatible so should work with most versions.

/cool.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' />
Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

#44   azer

azer
  • Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 19:40

hello
do i got to keep this line 94 since i got php 4 ::
if (PHP_VERSION < '5' && $at_total < 1) {$at_backup_db = 'at_backupnow';$saving = 'ATTENTION: Making the initial Auto-Backups of your Database.'; } }

MS2

#45   spooks

spooks
  • Members
  • 7,017 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 20:20

hello
do i got to keep this line 94 since i got php 4 ::

if (PHP_VERSION < '5' && $at_total < 1) {$at_backup_db = 'at_backupnow';$saving = 'ATTENTION: Making the initial Auto-Backups of your Database.'; } }

No, thats not needed anymore as timing functions now work even with empty directory & php4, if you look at V2.8 you'll see its been removed.

/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
Sam

Contributions:

#46   carryG

carryG
  • Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 15:41

Great contribution, thanks!

Quick question. When upgrading from 2.3 to 2.8, does 2.8 remove the sql installed data or still use it (from 2.3)? I am just wondering if that data should be pulled out or is it still used.

Also, any changes necessary if using a admin directory that is named something other than admin?

Thanks again.

Carry

#47   spooks

spooks
  • Members
  • 7,017 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 17:03

The setup will update if needed.

The backup directory used is the one defined in your configure.php file, so as long as that is correct its fine.
Sam

Contributions:

#48   flatcat

flatcat
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:56

Hi,
Is there an easy way to limit the number of archive backups stored? I have been deleting the older archives via the admin panel but it would be nice if you were able to do so automatically. Example: backup every hour, archive every day and only store last two archived backups. Great mod by the way.
Thanks

#49   spooks

spooks
  • Members
  • 7,017 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:14

Hi,
Is there an easy way to limit the number of archive backups stored? I have been deleting the older archives via the admin panel but it would be nice if you were able to do so automatically. Example: backup every hour, archive every day and only store last two archived backups. Great mod by the way.
Thanks

Its possible, but you would have to take care as you never know how far you have to go back. Following a query I`ve temporarily gone back a few weeks, could'nt do that if it went your way.

My approach is to use ftp, transfer archives to pc, then delete whole block at once, quicker that way.
Sam

Contributions:

#50   mmendo

mmendo
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 17:38

Its possible, but you would have to take care as you never know how far you have to go back. Following a query I`ve temporarily gone back a few weeks, could'nt do that if it went your way.

My approach is to use ftp, transfer archives to pc, then delete whole block at once, quicker that way.

I just installed the mod -- and it's great! I have the same question as the previous person, but I'm not sure I understand completly being that I have just installed the mod.

So if I set auto backup interval to 30, it will create a new backup twice an hour?
If I set backup save interval to 24, it will save just one of those backups every day and delete the others?

Is that correct?

So if I want to archive just 4 weeks of backups (nothing older than 28 days), how do I do that?

Thanks!

#51   mmendo

mmendo
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 13:11

Can anyone tell me know to modify this contrib (it's a great contrib!) so that it only saves the last 28 days of backups and deletes anything older than 28 days?

Thanks in advance!

#52   mmendo

mmendo
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 13:50

Hi Sam,

Thanks so much for your auto backup contrib. It's really useful! I'm wondering if you can tell me how to modify it so that it only saves the last 28 days of backups and deletes anything older than 28 days?

Thanks so much,
Nicole

POST DONT PM!!!

I did post -twice. Thought you might be kind enough to respond.

#53   spooks

spooks
  • Members
  • 7,017 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 14:55

This forum provides free support, so you need to be patient & wait for those providing the free support to have time & inclination to reply, pestering for a responce is not a good way to get it.

So if I set auto backup interval to 30, it will create a new backup twice an hour?
If I set backup save interval to 24, it will save just one of those backups every day and delete the others?

Means backup twice an hour & archive one of those once a day, as I thought has been said here before.

Can anyone tell me know to modify this contrib (it's a great contrib!) so that it only saves the last 28 days of backups and deletes anything older than 28 days?

Its possible, but you would have to take care as you never know how far you have to go back.

If I get the time & the inclination I might write some code to automate.
Sam

Contributions:

#54   spooks

spooks
  • Members
  • 7,017 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:17

Deleting old backups.

I have considered the option of automatically deleting any backups older than a set amount & feel that adding such would be detrimental to the package.

The backup routine is run on every page load in admin, so must be kept consice to avoid adding any unneccessary load or delays to admin.

If such an option is desired, it would be better to add it as a function to the likes of Database Backup Manager.

Sam

Contributions:

#55   random183

random183
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:56

Deleting old backups.

I have considered the option of automatically deleting any backups older than a set amount & feel that adding such would be detrimental to the package.

The backup routine is run on every page load in admin, so must be kept consice to avoid adding any unneccessary load or delays to admin.

If such an option is desired, it would be better to add it as a function to the likes of Database Backup Manager.

Shame! One of my customers who really doesn't want to be going "under the bonnet" of the shop (as they put it), keeps running out of hard drive space on their hosting, and it's always the auto backup thats caused it.
Once a shop is running well, you really only need to keep the database for product/customer information, can't really think of anything else that's likely to change much after the shops development phase...
It would be really useful to have a "Delete Backups after XX days", any chance you could be persuaded to have a re-think about this?

Cheers

Mat

#56   tpokala

tpokala
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 16:06

I have installed this but it not work /sad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

No new backup.

What is wrong?

#57   spooks

spooks
  • Members
  • 7,017 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 17:38

you've made errors, do the install again more carefully, then double check everything u done.
Sam

Contributions:

#58   tpokala

tpokala
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 17:57

you've made errors, do the install again more carefully, then double check everything u done.

thx, now is working:D

Edited by tpokala, 15 April 2009 - 18:07.

#59   Patty

Patty
  • Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 17:48

Hi there.

Another great contribution by Sam, thanks a lot! /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I think it would be nice to have the auto-delete option after X ammount of days defined in the admin.

Also it would be nice to include an email function to email the back up file to the admin. I'm thinking that if there's a problem with the server or the clients account, having the back ups stored in the server won't help much. And to tell people they have to go to their admin and download the back up file manually, well, we all know it just won't happen as often as needed. /rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

So is there any chance that these could be added to this great add on??

Edited by Patty, 06 July 2009 - 17:48.

Patty

#60   Patty

Patty
  • Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 19:15

Sorry, it does delete the old back ups and maintains only 2. That's good enough.
I was reading the forum before testing it all the way.
Great job! /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

But email function would be good to have. I hope it can be added.
Patty