• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Domain Name?/

misket

Hello everyone,

You all probably already know how to do this but I don't and I'd appreciate some feedback on it please.

I've signed up for an account with oscommerce & will purchase a domain name. What I need to know is how to get the domain name to show up on my oscommerce site. I'm not much of a techie and years ago when I had a domain name on a different server than my host, the domain name just pointed to the host and showed up as "http://www.tripod.com/~whatever it was at the time" instead of the domain name I choose. Does this make sense to anyone besides me? I'd really appreciate it if someone could set me straight on this. Thanks ahead of time for any help offered.

Jayne

Hello everyone,

You all probably already know how to do this but I don't and I'd appreciate some feedback on it please.

I've signed up for an account with oscommerce & will purchase a domain name. What I need to know is how to get the domain name to show up on my oscommerce site. I'm not much of a techie and years ago when I had a domain name on a different server than my host, the domain name just pointed to the host and showed up as "http://www.tripod.com/~whatever it was at the time" instead of the domain name I choose. Does this make sense to anyone besides me? I'd really appreciate it if someone could set me straight on this. Thanks ahead of time for any help offered.

Jayne

You ask your host what the nameserver information is for the hosting account. Then you log into your domain registrar and change the nameservers for that domain to what your host provided. Ask you host to then create the DNS records for your domain and that should be about it. It can take up to three days for this to actually be available on the internet as it goes through what is known as propogation. Search on Google for "nameservers", "domain propogation" and "DNS records" to get more info.

My Toolbox: Crimson Editor, Adobe Photoshop CS2.0, Expression Web, Macromedia Suite 8.0, Cinema 4D, Nvu.

You will also have to setup the configure files to use the domain name.

Jack

Actually I guess my host is oscommerce. There doesn't seem to be any way to contact them - at least I didn't find a link anywhere on the site. Anyone know how to contact them? In addition to getting the domain information, I'd like to change the name I signed up with to be the same as the domain (Which I only got today). Either name change or delete so I can sign up using my domain name. I'm not much of a techie so I'd really appreciate any help offered. Thank you. Jo

You will also have to setup the configure files to use the domain name.

Jack

Actually I guess my host is oscommerce. There doesn't seem to be any way to contact them - at least I didn't find a link anywhere on the site. Anyone know how to contact them? In addition to getting the domain information, I'd like to change the name I signed up with to be the same as the domain (Which I only got today). Either name change or delete so I can sign up using my domain name. I'm not much of a techie so I'd really appreciate any help offered. Thank you. Jo

Actually I guess my host is oscommerce. There doesn't seem to be any way to contact them

osCommerce does not offer hosting and is not a hosting company. OsCommerce is just software that can be installed anywhere (like Microsoft word).

I'd like to change the name I signed up with to be the same as the domain (Which I only got today).

Not a good idea because when people search for your domain name they will also find all the questions you ask in this forum. :blush:

You have your domain name. That is step one.

Now you need to find a web host, if you haven't already.

Once you have BOTH these parts you log into your account where you registered your domain name and enter the "nameservers" of your hosting company. They will look something like ns1.yourhostingcompany.com and ns2.yourhostingcompany.com. You find the correct ones by either asking your hosting company what they are, or looking at their knowledge base for the correct information. They are called DNS servers.

Once done that will tell your domain name to look for your site in the correct place.

Then you can install osCommerce, but start with the DNS nameservers first.

Oh, I assumed you had your shop setup. When you said, "I've signed up for an account with oscommerce," were you referring to creating an account here on the forums? If so, that is just so you can post here. It doesn't have anything to do with your hosting. You need to get a host and install oscommerce on the server the host provides.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived