• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Not getting confirmation emails revisted

Rainguy

I know this has been posted before but, I still have a problem. If anyone places an order I do NOT get the confirmation email. If I send a "test" order using an email address that is from my host (my domain name) I get the confirmation email.

I posted this at my host help system:

We were told in the Admin to set up email as follows depending on server type:

Windows:  

E-Mail Transport Method: SMTP  

E-Mail Linefeeds: CRLF  

Unix/Linux/BSD/MacOS X  

Transport: Sendmail  

Linefeed: LF  

I have the settings as described in my first post because I thought it was a Unix server. Now you are saying you have an SMTP server?? So should I change the settings in Admin to SMTP?  

The email confirmation takes place in the checkout_process.php file in the catalog directory. Also, someone said itt might have to do with php.ini file in your directories? If I send a test order using my own [email protected] email address I get the confirmations. If any customer orders with their email, I get no confirmation emails.

Their answer makes no sense to me :?

Our servers are Linux based operating systems (like Windows)... SMTP is a mail program that runs on the server... thus, smtp server.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Their answer makes no sense to me  :?  
Our servers are Linux based operating systems (like Windows)... SMTP is a mail program that runs on the server... thus, smtp server.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Your host is not correct, SMTP is the protocol used to transfer mail. Sendmail is the 'program' used to effect this.

Your setting needs to be "sendmail":

E-Mail Transport Method sendmail   

E-Mail Linefeeds LF   

Use MIME HTML When Sending Emails false   

Verfiy E-Mail Addresses Through DNS false   

Send E-Mails true  

is what my site (running in redhat 7.2) uses perfectly.

I knew his answer made no sense.

Well those are the settings that I have burt. What do I do next? Switch hosts?? :lol:

Hmmmn. It should work without problem if he has sendmail installed in the normal place...

If we are talking here about performance-pcs, then I would definately consider moving host as your site is taking an age to appear in my browser :?

Mind you, your pages are graphically *very* heavy which isn't helping. Ah hang on, I think the server is undergoing a reboot...

Anyway, upload a file containing:

<?php

phpinfo()

?>

And then post back the URL.

Gary, thanks for the reply. Yes, the server is "always" being rebooted from what I can tell :x

Could you give me a couple more steps on how to execute the file I upload to get the info? Does the file have to have any special name?

Gary, thanks for the reply. Yes, the server is "always" being rebooted from what I can tell  :x  

Could you give me a couple more steps on how to execute the file I upload to get the info? Does the file have to have any special name?

call it phpinfo.php and upload it so it's publically viewable - we can use that to see where sendmail is located on your server :)

I know this has been posted before but, I still have a problem. If anyone places an order I do NOT get the confirmation email. If I send a "test" order using an email address that is from my host (my domain name) I get the confirmation email.

That indicates the trivial solution. Did you actually added an eMail address under "Send extra order mail to" in admin?

HTH

You can't have everything. That's why trains have difficulty crossing oceans, and hippos did not adapt to fly. -- from the OpenBSD mailinglist.

Jan, yes there is an email address in the "send extra email to" box in the Admin even though when the cart was first setup we would get the confirm emails to the default addy without having anything in this "extra email" box.

OK the phpinfo file is up:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/phpinfo.php

So this tells us that sendmail is in the normal place @ /usr/sbin/sendmail. What does this mean ? It should all work OK, I've just signed into your shop and created an account. I received the introductory email so that means that Sendmail is working OK...

Next up is to make sure that the machine you are hosted on can send OK to a local email address...set up a throwaway hotmail account and input that as your "send extra orders to" address. Now see if they arrive. If so then you know the box you are on is misconfigured...let us know how you get on.

Archived