Photo
- - - - -

Who responsible for lost package?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#21   kitchenniche

kitchenniche
  • Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 20:04

Defrauding the USPS is probably the worst advice I have ever read on this board- the Post Office is a federal agency complete with their own investigation team of real federal cops. Man that's dumb.

What I actually meant is that if a package didn't get scanned at the time of the delivery, you can file for late delivery so they pay you the postage you paid. This is not fraud, I'm paying for a service I don't receive so I should be getting my money back, don't you think?
HIM - Dark Light - Out on 26/09/05

#22   kitchenniche

kitchenniche
  • Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 20:06

kitchenniche, how do you get canada post to pay for lost packages??? they always give me this "you must wait 60 business days from the date of dispatch before filing a claim"

by then, the customer has already done a chargeback or i sent a replacement!!

AND canada post sends a letter to the customer asking them if they ever got the shipment. if they already have a new item or their money back, they never bother filling this form out and thus i'm out the money, shipping cost and a customer.

If you send stuff with Small Packet Surface or Air, you must always wait 60-90 days until they agree that the package is lost. It doesn't really matter whether you have sent a replacement already because the customer knows that the first shipment got lost (hopefully). I never had any problems when something got lost.
HIM - Dark Light - Out on 26/09/05

#23   ivinsoffroad

ivinsoffroad
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 15:53

The way you would determine who is responsible for a lost package would be determined between you and the customer. The United States Postal Service offers Insurance for lost, stolen, or damaged items. If you don't Insure the package then they United States Postal Service is not responsible.

Delivery Confirmation, confirms the delivery. Signature Confirmation confirms the delivery with a signature.

The only service that is guaranteed is Express Mail. Priority, First Class, and Parcel Post all have estimated delivery times.

I hope this helps, and I hope you can work it out with your customers.

#24   desiredin

desiredin
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 18:46

Sorry to be fashionably late on this thread, but ya'll forgot the simplest measure of self-protection: a disclaimer. Particularly when shipping international orders you should put a disclaimer saying that they agree to take responsibility for teriffs, legal issues such as border seizure &c.

Any disclaimer about lost or stolen shipments runs contrary to your contract with most processors like Paypal and 2Checkout. As the merchant, you claim responsibility to ensure the order arrives at your customer's address, and a signature is a required proff. Delivery confirmation without it doesn't mean a thing.

#25   Stephie

Stephie
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 23:52

The way you would determine who is responsible for a lost package would be determined between you and the customer. The United States Postal Service offers Insurance for lost, stolen, or damaged items. If you don't Insure the package then they United States Postal Service is not responsible.

Delivery Confirmation, confirms the delivery. Signature Confirmation confirms the delivery with a signature.

The only service that is guaranteed is Express Mail. Priority, First Class, and Parcel Post all have estimated delivery times.

I hope this helps, and I hope you can work it out with your customers.

This is a interesting question I bet a lot of us don't think about. I think unless you have stated in your shipping "The only service that is guaranteed is Express Mail " or a option for Insurance , you really can't hold USPS liable .Unless you have it stated somewhere you really should offer the customer complete customer satisfaction. Read more

#26   seb1188

seb1188
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:42

Nice and simple: Depends where you live.

Example: In the UK - Distance Selling Regulations state that the retailer/vendor is entirely liable for loss or damage to goods until the customer has receieved.
Result: Unless you have proof of delivery you're buggered.

Best advice: Try to get compensation from courrier. If that fails, try informing the police of a stolen item (from the door step). If that fails, tell the customer you believe it was delivered. If they're making it up they might leave you alone. If they're not, they'll get their money back anyway.
osCommerce is GREAT. When it works...

#27   adalbert68

adalbert68
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 14:41

Hi,
I've the such unpleasant adventure with the USPS. I bought from a client from the USA 2 laptops for about $1400. We got along by emails about the details and the price. I sent him the money transfer by bank. Then he sent me the package. Unfortunately before coming to Poland (I'm from Poland), it'd been robbed. When came to our custom they informed me that the package had been robbed (waighted 1 pound in the place of 6). They made a protocol and sent me the package, so that I decide what to do with it. Of course I didn't take the one and the package had been sent back to the USA. It's been already over 2 months, and it is still not back to the sender. The package had been insured, but only for about $300. Is there any way for me to claim for the money I payed from the seller?

#28   Kevn

Kevn
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 21:04

Hi,
I've the such unpleasant adventure with the USPS. I bought from a client from the USA 2 laptops for about $1400. We got along by emails about the details and the price. I sent him the money transfer by bank. Then he sent me the package. Unfortunately before coming to Poland (I'm from Poland), it'd been robbed. When came to our custom they informed me that the package had been robbed (waighted 1 pound in the place of 6). They made a protocol and sent me the package, so that I decide what to do with it. Of course I didn't take the one and the package had been sent back to the USA. It's been already over 2 months, and it is still not back to the sender. The package had been insured, but only for about $300. Is there any way for me to claim for the money I payed from the seller?

adalbert,

I am sorry to hear of your ordeal.

You can go to this page to see the details of the process:

USPS: Submitting an International Insurance Claim

First Step

The initial step in filing a claim on an international item is to initiate an inquiry for loss, rifling, or damage. The sender must call the International Inquiry Center at 1-800-222-1811 and provide the United States Postal ServiceĀ® agent with the relevant mailing particulars.

Note: The amount of time it takes to research your inquiry can vary based on several factors including the destination country. The Postal Service agent will provide you with more information when you call.

According to the information on that page, the claim-inquiry must be initiated by the SHIPPER, and it must be initiated within 183 calendar days of when the shipper mailed the package. (Less time is allowed to initiate an inquiry for certain shipping methods.)

You didn't say when the shipper mailed the package, or how it was shipped, but it seems you should still have time to have the shipper initiate an inquiry.

This whole process requires the cooperation of the shipper, but you mentioned that it was a client that shipped the items to you so hopefully your relationship with them is good so they will help. The USPS will likely send a letter to the shipper, and they will also send a form/letter to you asking if you received the package and if it was damaged or had contents missing.

If they (USPS) determine that a "Claim" should be initiated, they will send a "claim packet" to the shipper with instructions on filing the claim. More information here:

International Inquiries and Claims - Filing inquiries and claims

If they deny the claim, it can be appealed. See information here:

Appeals

It seems to me that if you and the shipper follow this through and answer thee letters from the USPS truthfully, you will recover the insurance amount plus the shipping cost. Keep in mind that they will send this money to the SHIPPER so it will be up to them to refund it to you.

The other possibility is that if the Laptop was lost from the package due to damage to the package within their facility or equipment, it is possible that during their investigation, they may recover the laptop and return it. If this is the case, I am not sure if they will return it to the shipper or to you.

I wish you the best of luck resolving this.

Kevin

#29   p2409

p2409
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 13:42

Hi I am writing to ask if anyone else has some problems with kitchenniche not being delivered....I am very frustrated as I ordered this as a gift for a friend...the order was placed on August 04, 2007 and said it was delivered on August 16th which it never was...i have emailed the company 3 times..and phoned the 1888 number 5 times but still no response from the company...would appreciate any suggestions that anyone has to offer and was wondering if anyone else is experienceing the same problem....thank you ...

Kelly1122

What is kitchniche? What is this posting doing in here? This kind of sh*t wrecks these forums.
OSC User Definitions
"I can add modules to OSC"                     =   I can search, cut and paste. But not well, or I wouldn't be here.
"I start my posting with 'works like a charm'  =   I'm letting you down gently, nothing works and I have no idea why
"I finish postings with "plzzzz....hlp"        =   My installation is buggered and I know I'm going to have to pay someone, but I really, really don't want to.

#30   amritsehgal

amritsehgal
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 13:19

Mostly on this cases, the courier companies are responsible for lost packages. So in this situation the consignee ( customer ) must not be worry about his package and money. Because that one is not happened by him, right ? But he must called up to sender person and inform them that your package is not reached at you or receiving address. And i am sure he will resend you, your package and on the same amount without any charges. Even he will be not payable for that, because he will charge the courier company. So go ahead and shop your needed accessories buy online or other places.

#31   DunWeb

DunWeb

The Censored One

• Members
  • 13,084 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 14:28

Mostly on this cases, the courier companies are responsible for lost packages.

Your statement is not intirely correct. IF, the shipper or the receiver has purchased OPTIONAL shipping insurance, the courier will replace up to that declared value. If the receiver was offered insurance but declined it, then the shipper is NOT responsible and either is the courier.

Chris
:|: Was this post helpful ? Click the LIKE THIS button :|:

See my Profile to learn more about add ons, templates, support plans and custom coding (click here)

#32   pejsmith

pejsmith
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:44

I think he is responsible for this if he not received package. Because you did your work.