Install Issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1   medvid

medvid
  • Members
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 05:44

Here are some of the issues I saw during the install. Some are trivial (like the typo), others might help reduce the problems the non-technical installers have. All in all, it's looking great!

During install:

1) The webserver does not seem to be able to write the online store parameters to its configuration file due to file permission problems.
The configuration file is located at:
/home/mydomain/public_html/test_osC/includes/configure.php
Alternatively the possibility to copy the configuration parameters to the configuration file by hand is also provided at the end of the installation procedure.
Please choose the installation method to continue.

There was no choice except the Install button. It would be helpful to tell people to set the perms for the config file to 777 and then give them a button to Recheck (i.e refresh)

2) Typo on Install screen 2 "Save configuration patemeters entered..."

3) On the database install screen:
Database Server
The address of the database server in the form of a hostname or IP address.

You could add that "localhost" may be an option.

4) On the Working directory install screen, you say: "The working directory for temporarily created files. This directory should be located outside the public webserver root directory for security reasons." but the default path given was under _store_folder_/includes/.

That seems to contradict the suggestion. And you should suggest the perms (like #1 above) to be used for the work/ directory.

5) In IE6, the textboxes for Admin login username and password were extremely wide.

6) Afterwards, it would be great if the installer was told the recommended final perms for #1 and #4 above.

ed
Answers to osCommerce's most persistent questions!  Tips & Tricks | Configuration | Common Problems.
Seek and ye shall find Contributions.
My Contributions
My Blog

#2   jcall

jcall
  • Members
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 20:11

on #2, I'd recommend entering 'localhost' as the default value.

-jared

#3 ONLINE   Harald Ponce de Leon

Harald Ponce de Leon

Healthy Giraffe

• Core Team
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 15:05

Hi Ed..

There was no choice except the Install button. It would be helpful to tell people to set the perms for the config file to 777 and then give them a button to Recheck (i.e refresh)

This can be done at the end of the installation procedure where it gives you the choice to save the configuration parameters yourself and FTP it by hand, or to refresh the page when the file permissions have been set accordingly.

Have you seen this?

2) Typo on Install screen 2 "Save configuration patemeters entered..."

Fixed!

3) On the database install screen:
Database Server
The address of the database server in the form of a hostname or IP address.

You could add that "localhost" may be an option.

Isn't that covered under "hostname"? This is covered in the documentation too ;)

4) On the Working directory install screen, you say: "The working directory for temporarily created files. This directory should be located outside the public webserver root directory for security reasons." but the default path given was under _store_folder_/includes/.

That seems to contradict the suggestion. And you should suggest the perms (like #1 above) to be used for the work/ directory.

This will be covered in the documentation as it is not possible here to force the working directory to be created outside the public webserver path.

The default directory provided is protected with .htaccess but will only work for Apache webservers.

5) In IE6, the textboxes for Admin login username and password were extremely wide.

Yes, the current design layout will not be the final design layout for final release.

6) Afterwards, it would be great if the installer was told the recommended final perms for #1 and #4 above.

Is it not better to leave that information in the documentation? The store owner is already warned on the catalog side if the permissions are not setup correctly.

Thanks for the feedback,
Harald Ponce de Leon

#4   medvid

medvid
  • Members
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 02:56

Harald,

As I looked at the Install, I was thinking of all of the forum threads started by the non-technical folks that just don't understand a lot of this and/or won't read the documentation. Yes, this should all be in the documentation. However, I don't think anyone wants the forums filled with Question: "I was told XYZ during install" Answer: "Go read the documentation." Also, a lot of people just don't understand ftp.

In the case of the perms, when the screen shows an error that config.php or a specific directory wasn't writeable, it wouldn't take much space to add a sentence or 2 saying to set the perms a certain way. Also, my copy of the Alpha doesn't tell me to fix it and refresh (at least I didn't see it) although, that's exactly what I did. Likewise, a message at the end of the install to revert some perms back (like config.php to unwriteable) would help. I think it is clearer to say that in the install page than on the catalog side (but keep it there also in case they missed it).

If you don't mind me mentioning another OS app, Gallery! (a photo album app) has an excellent install. In fact, it is similar to MS3 Alpha except for the few things I mentioned. When a resource is unavailable (like write permissions on configure.php) it tells the user to fix the perms and hit refresh. At the end, it tells the user what to change to finish up. MS3 Alpha's install is much more mature (i.e. idiot proof) than MS2.

Of course, they'll still ask the basic questions on the forum. Again. And again. And again. /tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

ed
Answers to osCommerce's most persistent questions!  Tips & Tricks | Configuration | Common Problems.
My Contributions
My Blog

#5 ONLINE   Harald Ponce de Leon

Harald Ponce de Leon

Healthy Giraffe

• Core Team
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 13:00

Hi Ed..

Also, my copy of the Alpha doesn't tell me to fix it and refresh (at least I didn't see it) although, that's exactly what I did.

You're right - because you don't need to fix it at this time ;)

Can you go through the installation procedure again (with incorrect permission settings on configure.php) and see what happens?

Would it be easier if no warning was shown on the first page?
Harald Ponce de Leon

#6   medvid

medvid
  • Members
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:18

Hi Ed..
You're right - because you don't need to fix it at this time /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Can you go through the installation procedure again (with incorrect permission settings on configure.php) and see what happens?

Would it be easier if no warning was shown on the first page?

Harald,

First, I'm on 3.01a. I set configure.php to 444 and then went to testsite/install. I got the following:
The webserver does not seem to be able to write the online store parameters to its configuration file due to file permission problems.

/home/domaincom/public_html/testsite/includes/configure.php

Alternatively the possibility to copy the configuration parameters to the configuration file by hand is also provided at the end of the installation procedure.
Nothing tells me how to fix it or to hit refresh once I've fixed it. I'm going to try the "copy by hand" option. So, I hit Install. I go through all of the appropriate screens. At the very end, I now see a chance to change the perms on configure.php and hit a Retry button OR to copy the configure.php contents provided to me in a text area.

That works very well. However, I might modify the text above to something like:
The webserver does not seem to be able to write the online store parameters to its configuration file due to file permission problems.

/home/domaincom/public_html/testsite/includes/configure.php

Please check the permissions and hit Retry (have a Retry button here).  Alternatively, at the end of the Installalation procedure, you will be given the possibility to Retry again OR copy the configuration parameters we will provide you to the configuration file by hand.

Keep the warning on the first page but I would also tell them on the Finished page. Just in case... Again, this is looking very mature. I would be a little more descriptive but it looks good.

ed
My Contributions
My Blog