[contribution support] Custom META Tags per ITEM

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41   lisa65

lisa65
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 23:42

i got this when i first installed the module (I did the line by line code update)... to solve it i uploaded the files supplied from the admin and the categories.php and then redid my modifications to those files.. i've just got the issue with the "Use Search-Engine Safe URLs" to fix

Hello Kim,

I turned off "Use Search-Enging Safe URLs" and suddenly my product specific meta tags started working. Well, I have no idea how to fix it but it is nice to know where the problem is.

I am wondering how detremental, in search engines, it would be to my site if I leave the setting to false. I do know that not having the specific tags on my products page isn't good either.

Thanks for finding the problem area Kim!

Any suggestions are welcomed. We would all like to solve this.

Lisa

#42   Kam Racing

Kam Racing
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:46

Hello Kim,

I turned off "Use Search-Enging Safe URLs" and suddenly my product specific meta tags started working. Well, I have no idea how to fix it but it is nice to know where the problem is.

I am wondering how detremental, in search engines, it would be to my site if I leave the setting to false. I do know that not having the specific tags on my products page isn't good either.

Thanks for finding the problem area Kim!

Any suggestions are welcomed. We would all like to solve this.

Lisa

I believe the problem is in how the product id is being picked up for referencing against the database but i'm not sure how to change the code to reflect this

#43   stecol

stecol
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 23:39

I installed your contribution, and I like it very much.
The categories, sub-categories and products all work very well. I search the source code and all is fine.
But, when I seach the source code for the index page, my old keywords are still there and I would like to change them, but I do not know how.

Also, I do not have any seo installed and I am wondering which one I would be wise to install, there are so many!
I have shared ssl and cannot force cookies and my knowledge of php is very limited.

Thanks,
Pete

Hi,

I have added your contribution and it sounds excellent the way keywords for every page are generated 'on the fly'. I will wait to see the changes in my search engine rankings.

One question i do have is, how do i add the verification META name="verify-v1" which google requires? I tried the html verification but this doesn't work for me for some reason. Can this meta name be added to the /functions/general.php file? Can you help with the syntax for this? Thanks.
- Steven Collins - SteColDesign

#44   Kam Racing

Kam Racing
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:38

I believe the problem is in how the product id is being picked up for referencing against the database but i'm not sure how to change the code to reflect this

i don't suppose anyone has managed to come up with a fix for this yet?

#45   lisa65

lisa65
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:53

If you have search engine safe urls turned on, which I do, then the tags for products will not show. I am not a programmer so I can't figure it out. I'm sorry, but the guy who created this contribution never supports it and I can't seem to entice anyone else to come in and help us out.

Lisa

#46   Kam Racing

Kam Racing
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 14:54

If you have search engine safe urls turned on, which I do, then the tags for products will not show. I am not a programmer so I can't figure it out. I'm sorry, but the guy who created this contribution never supports it and I can't seem to entice anyone else to come in and help us out.

Lisa

i've just managed to get it working on my site /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> if you add this bit of code to the top of product_info.php it should work on the product pages with search engine safe urls turned on. it will probably break the page if search engine safe urls is turned off though.

function selfURL() { $s = empty($_SERVER["HTTPS"]) ? '' : ($_SERVER["HTTPS"] == "on") ? "s" : ""; $protocol = strleft(strtolower($_SERVER["SERVER_PROTOCOL"]), "/").$s; $port = ($_SERVER["SERVER_PORT"] == "80") ? "" : (":".$_SERVER["SERVER_PORT"]); return $protocol."://".$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'].$port.$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']; } function strleft($s1, $s2) { return substr($s1, 0, strpos('http://www.kam-racin...78/products_id/' $s2)); }

$urlstring = selfURL();
$products_id = substr_replace($urlstring, '', 0, -3);

#47   Kam Racing

Kam Racing
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:22

i've just managed to get it working on my site /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> if you add this bit of code to the top of product_info.php it should work on the product pages with search engine safe urls turned on. it will probably break the page if search engine safe urls is turned off though.
function selfURL() { $s = empty($_SERVER["HTTPS"]) ? '' : ($_SERVER["HTTPS"] == "on") ? "s" : ""; $protocol = strleft(strtolower($_SERVER["SERVER_PROTOCOL"]), "/").$s; $port = ($_SERVER["SERVER_PORT"] == "80") ? "" : (":".$_SERVER["SERVER_PORT"]); return $protocol."://".$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'].$port.$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']; } function strleft($s1, $s2) { return substr($s1, 0, strpos('http://www.kam-racin...78/products_id/' $s2)); }

$urlstring = selfURL();
$products_id = substr_replace($urlstring, '', 0, -3);

obviously changing the link to product_info.php to whatever it is on your site

#48   Kam Racing

Kam Racing
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:30

obviously changing the link to product_info.php to whatever it is on your site

<- ignore, i don't think the link to product_info.php does anything, it was just left over from my previous hashed attempts... to clean it up replace 'http://www.kam-racin...78/products_id/' with $s1 and it should still work

#49   lisa65

lisa65
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 00:37

Thanks Jon,

I am in the midwest and my electricity has been off for several days so I haven't been able to reply. I will give the code a try and see what happens.

Thanks so much for your help.

Lisa

#50   angels2

angels2
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 20:14

This is the support link for the 'Custom META Tags per ITEM' contribution.

Here's the contribution link:
Custom META Tags per ITEM - Contribution

Custom META Tags per Item v1.0

This contribution allows you to set which META Tags & page TITLE are displayed on a per-product, per-category, and per-subCategory basis. This is an important step towards SEO! The following custom fields are stored in the database for each product, category, & subcategory:
META Keywords
META Description
TITLE (i.e. <TITLE></TITLE>)

This can be used to set default META Tags & page TITLE for your entire OSC store. If a product or category doesn't have an entry for any of the 3 custom fields, it will display the default for those fields.

All entries are controlled using the admin console.

Multi-language is supported for the product tags.

Extra fields are added to the database to hold the custom fields, so this contribution should be very benign in it's interaction with other contributions.

I heavily modified & extended Daniel Richards original 'custom meta tags' contribution to include extra fields, multi-language capabilities, and extra functionality.

This contribution has been tested with Ultimate SEO URLs.

I hope this helps y'all place well in the search engines! /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

-Randelia

I just installed this and it works pretty good, except, in the scrrenshots it shows where you can add keywords along with the product information, but when I add a new product I don't see a place to do that at all...what am I missing...?

#51   angels2

angels2
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 21:12

I just installed this and it works pretty good, except, in the scrrenshots it shows where you can add keywords along with the product information, but when I add a new product I don't see a place to do that at all...what am I missing...?

Wow, I found it, awesome! Never mind! /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

#52   angels2

angels2
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 21:31

Wow, I found it, awesome! Never mind! /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Uh...wait...now the title tag is missing? The meta title tag is there, but the regular one is gone /huh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':huh:' /> Anyone know how to correct this?

#53   lisa65

lisa65
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 21:41

Uh...wait...now the title tag is missing? The meta title tag is there, but the regular one is gone /huh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':huh:' /> Anyone know how to correct this?

I have been adding my tag values in the database.

Lisa

#54   angels2

angels2
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 22:11

I have been adding my tag values in the database.

Lisa

I've done that too, and it seems to work ok, but the real problem occurs when the H1 tag doesn't show...do you know of a way to fix this?

#55   lisa65

lisa65
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 22:36

I've done that too, and it seems to work ok, but the real problem occurs when the H1 tag doesn't show...do you know of a way to fix this?

Not sure. I haven't had time to add the fix to my cart yet because of the power outages in my area but if I figure it out I will let you know.

Lisa

#56   angels2

angels2
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:20

Not sure. I haven't had time to add the fix to my cart yet because of the power outages in my area but if I figure it out I will let you know.

Lisa

Anyone know how to get the h1 tags to show while using this...?

#57   CommandCom

CommandCom
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:17

I have installed the contribution on a clean site and it went well.
However the tags only work for the categories and not the products. THe products always show the default tags.
Any ideas what this might be?

#58   CommandCom

CommandCom
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:58

I have installed the contribution on a clean site and it went well.
However the tags only work for the categories and not the products. THe products always show the default tags.
Any ideas what this might be?

OK the patch from Kam Rcing does not work on my site. Everything works of I disable Search Engine friendly URL's but if they are enabled this doesnt work even with Kams patch.

Any other ideas?

#59   adamjthompson86

adamjthompson86
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:03

How do I remove the category name from the Title on my product pages?

Even after I specify the title tag for a product page, it makes the title tag using this format: {product category name} {Specified Title}

How do I remove the category name?

Thanks,
Adam

#60   toptiara

toptiara
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:13

OK the patch from Kam Rcing does not work on my site. Everything works of I disable Search Engine friendly URL's but if they are enabled this doesnt work even with Kams patch.

Any other ideas?

I am having this problem also. I have checked all the way through the install and I can't see anything which I have done incorrectly.

The default tags are displayed where they should be
The category tags are displayed when you view the categories, but when you go to the product pages, they revert to the default tags instead of the individual item ones.

I am running SEO-G, but it makes no difference if I have it enabled or disabled, the product tags do not work.

Anybody have any tips please?
Hand made jewellery and tiaras on our website

Please bear with me. Im an osC noobie!