#1   jcall

jcall
  • Members
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:17

More Category Boxes 1.0
June 29, 2005
Author: Jared Call
Dignified Contributor: Gregory Baboolal (devosc)

This contribution can be downloaded from: http://www.oscommerc...tributions,3327

What this contrib does:
========================
This contribution adds the following features:
- Add up to 10 additional category boxes to the left column, each of which can contain up to 25 admin-selectable top level categories.
- Each new category box may be enabled/disabled.
- The default categories box may be enabled/disabled.
- Each new category box has a customizable name (infobox heading).

Caveats / Known Issues:
=======================
- Each category box is updated independently in admin. When you click the "update" button, you are updating that box ONLY.
- You may only select parent categories to display at top level in each infobox (i.e. this contrib does not alter the standard osCommerce category tree structure).
- This contribution does not yet support apostrophes in infobox names.
- Categories still follow the same sorting order specified in the osCommerce Admin >> Catalog >> Categories/Products

NOTE: The customer for whom this was written wanted to use up to 50 categories per category box. If you want to do this, use the files with -50 in the name. For example, instead of using more_categories.php, rename more_categories-50.php to more_categories.php and use that one instead.

NOTE2: The includes/boxes/more_categories-50.php file also includes the CategoriesBox Enhancement contribution code. It should be easy enough, with a diff utility (Beyond Compare, WinMerge, CompareIt, WinDiff, etc) to see the differences between the includes/boxes/more_categories.php and includes/boxes/more_categories-50.php.

(all of this and more is in the readme.txt in the contrib download)

Edited by jcall, 07 July 2005 - 05:20.

#2   azer

azer
  • Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:06

hi , thanks for sahring your work and idea here ... i hope u wont take it bad , but could you provide a screenshot ?

is it possible to enable/disable each categories box in the admin ?

best regards
MS2

#3   jcall

jcall
  • Members
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 14:24

The user side is _presently_ in action at www.allyallcalls.com/osc/catalog . I'll get screenshots of the user side and the admin side and upload them somewhere.

-jared

#4   belly

belly
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 20:31

Jared,

Quality contribution, worked a dream on both my sites and very easy to install and worked first time..

If anyone wants to see it working, you'll find it here - please be aware it's a live site..

FHSelect

Graham

#5   akmac

akmac
  • Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 15:57

Hey Jared-great contrib!

It looks like it is causing "?infoBox=0" "?infoBox=1" etc to to be appended to the url. is there a way to get rid of this-or is it intended?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, profundum viditur.

#6   jcall

jcall
  • Members
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 16:23

That may be there to track which box we're expanding the menu in - - don't remember off the top of my head.

I'll have a look. That parameter is used in admin to determine which box we're updating, but I'm not sure for the catalog side.

-jared

#7   dreammakers

dreammakers
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:55

Is it possible to make those category boxes in the content area (in the middle) instead of the table containing the products with prices to be somthing like the following example:

http://www.otlob.com...s/MMenu_367.asp

I have already made the quantity box and the prices are there, but I need to devide it like the URL above to be like a restaurant menu.

#8   Thomas_Burke

Thomas_Burke
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 16:56

It sounds like a great contribution. Are there any known issues or problems with the Easypopulate contribution?

#9   jcall

jcall
  • Members
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 14:08

Not that I'm aware of. Shouldn't be, as EasyPopulate just imports/extracsts data into the database. More Category Boxes just manages how that data is displayed, but doesn't change the products/categories at all.

-jared

#10   jcall

jcall
  • Members
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 14:11

Should be. Try adding it into the index.php as a module, similar to this code that's used for a similar function, also in index.php:
         <tr>
            <td><?php include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_NEW_PRODUCTS); ?></td>
          </tr>

Instead of specifing DIR_WS_MODULES, you just specify DIR_WS_BOXES .

-jared

#11   XzZzX

XzZzX
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 04:50

Thanks for great contribute i'm looking for. I will install into my shop then let you know.

http://www.thoitrangmobi.com/shop/

Thanks,

XzZzX
~ @ Everything in your Hands @ ~

#12   Thomas_Burke

Thomas_Burke
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 15:36

Hi, I installed the contribution. The following is from the installation instructions:

This contrib has 2 administration areas.  The first one is simply to enable/disable the "normal" categories box.  This is configured via Admin >> Configuration >> More Categories.  The second one is to enable/disable various category boxes and categories within each box.  That is configured in Admin >> Categories >> More Categories.

I found the first (Admin >> Configuration >> More Categories) but not the second (Admin >> Categories >> More Categories).

Does anyone have an idea?

#13   jcall

jcall
  • Members
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 15:57

Thomas - - did you perform step 4 of the install? That's the piece that gives you that link.

-jared

#14   Thomas_Burke

Thomas_Burke
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 17:36

Thomas - - did you perform step 4 of the install?  That's the piece that gives you that link.

-jared

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

er, I did but I didn't upload it to my server. DOH!

I seems to be OK now, thanks Jared

#15   Thomas_Burke

Thomas_Burke
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:10

Unfortunately I'm having some difficulties with Admin>>Catalog>>More Categories which my current rudimentary knowledge of PHP can't help me with.

In the screenshot below, you can see that after "Select a Category" and under "Action" there is blank space.

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.

Screenshot

[img]http://www.mobilesarcade.co.uk/images/screenshot.jpg[/img]

#16   Thomas_Burke

Thomas_Burke
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:25

Unfortunately I'm having some difficulties with Admin>>Catalog>>More Categories which my current  rudimentary knowledge of PHP can't help me with.

In the screenshot below, you can see that after "Select a Category" and under "Action" there is blank space.

I seem to have found the the source of the problem : my browser. The blank space only appears in IE6, and seems to slow the browser down a lot. I tried the same Admin page in Opera and it works fine. Any thoughts?

#17   jcall

jcall
  • Members
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:39

Are you using the 25 (stock) version or the 50 version? It can slow down IE a bunch waiting for all of that data to come back.

-jared

#18   Thomas_Burke

Thomas_Burke
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 17:13

Are you using the 25 (stock) version or the 50 version?  It can slow down IE a bunch waiting for all of that data to come back.

-jared

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm using the 25 version. I am running an older version of Internet Explorer (IE6) on Windows 98 Second Edition. I guess some aspect of my system setup (rather old) combined with an old version of Internet Explorer got indigestion.

It works fine with Opera 8 which is a faster browser (and free).

#19   jcall

jcall
  • Members
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 17:40

Just for my peace of mind, can you possibly try this from a different PC? I just re-confirmed that my test shop admin (with the 50 version) works with IE.

Thanks!

-jared

#20   pleymo

pleymo
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 12:44

Hello

i have just install the contribution it works fine but I have two questions:
1) (i have install YASU2 URL rewriting) and in the URL i have now this http://address/product?infoBox=0
how can i do to delete ?infoBox=0

2) in first time, i would keep the default categorie and add 1 new categorie, but products appeares in both categories, what can i do? /huh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':huh:' />

thanks

Pleymo