Photo
- - - - -

How do you take your product pictures?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#21   otacon221

otacon221
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:38

I'd say photoshop.

#22   sinryder

sinryder
  • Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 06:12

good i got photo shop 8 but dont know how to use it.
how can i fix the colors of the picture and make the background ulta white.
Also is their a way to fix more then one picture at a time. Like select all the picture and it can automatcially do the rest itself.

thankx

#23   mpiscopo

mpiscopo
  • Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:23

Haider,
The trick to getting the background to be white (given that it is actually white) is to set the white balance in your camera. Read through the manual for the camera and see if you can manually set the white balance. To do so on my Canon I take a picture of the white background and tell the camera that this should be white. Then on subsequent pictures the camera will automatically change the settings so you will get a true depiction of the colors (including the white background). Then you won't need to adjust colors in Photoshop, only the brightness and contrast.

#24   GraphicsGuy

GraphicsGuy
  • Members
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:52

good i got photo shop 8 but dont know how to use it.
how can i fix the colors of the picture and make the background ulta white.
Also is their a way to fix more then one picture at a time. Like select all the picture and it can automatcially do the rest itself.
thankx

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Assuming that the photo was taken on a white background and with reasonable lighting, you can do the following in Photoshop:

>Image>Adjustments>Auto Levels

If that doesn't get the look you want, then undo it and then do:

>Image>Adjustment>Levels
Then on the lower right of the popup you will see three eye droppers. Hovering over them will identify them. The right most should be for white point. click it and then click on the brightest part of the white background. You can also play around with the other controls in that window to further tweak the image.

You can perform identical changes to a large batch of photos by creating an action and then using the File>Automate feature. To do this:* using My Computer or Windows Explorer create a destination folder for the adjusted images
* in Photoshop, activate the Actions Pallete
* open one of the images
* click the record button on the actions pallete
* make all your changes to the photo (including adjustments and sizing)
* click stop on the actions pallete and name the action
* close the image without saving
* go to File>Automate
* select the action you just created (should already be selected)
* select the source and destination folders
* set the file naming elements
* start the batch and enjoy the show
Keep in mind, only batch process photos that were taken with identical background, lighting and camera settings.

Of course as pointed out, it is best to start with photos that don't need color adjustment, but the action/automate technique is useful for all kinds of adjustments and sizing on large numbers of images.
Rule #1:  Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.
Rule #2:  Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

#25   medvid

medvid
  • Members
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:52

Haider,
The trick to getting the background to be white (given that it is actually white) is to set the white balance in your camera.  Read through the manual for the camera and see if you can manually set the white balance.  To do so on my Canon I take a picture of the white background and tell the camera that this should be white.  Then on subsequent pictures the camera will automatically change the settings so you will get a true depiction of the colors (including the white background).  Then you won't need to adjust colors in Photoshop, only the brightness and contrast.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let me add: don't change the lighting between setting the white balance and taking the product pictures. If there's a window in the room, reset the white balance if the outside light changes due to clouds, sun position, etc. And of course, reset the white balance on subsequent photo shoots.

ed
Answers to osCommerce's most persistent questions!  Tips & Tricks | Configuration | Common Problems.
Seek and ye shall find Contributions.
My Contributions
My Blog

#26   sinryder

sinryder
  • Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 15:34

thankyou guys for all your replies. I have tried your suggestions and pictures are comming out alot better /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> but the background is still not really white. Most of the pictures that i see online have very clear and neat white background Just like this box where i am typing this msg.

another thing can you set the white background thing on "canon powershot s400"

#27   mpiscopo

mpiscopo
  • Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 18:52

According to the specs, you can. I found this on the web:
"A White Balance option offers Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, and Custom (manual) settings."

You want to use the custom setting. You'll need to read the manual to find out what buttons/switches to operate. Typically you'll press a setting, then snap a picture of your background, then leave the camera set to the Custom setting. Like the person said earlier, be sure to re-set it if the light changes. I take mine in the basement under a tungsten light with all other lights turned off. You can use any bright light, as long as you use the custom setting for white balance.

#28   mpiscopo

mpiscopo
  • Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 19:04

You can find a link to the manual HERE. Click on Product / Software Manuals, then dowload the user manual. Go to the page labeled as 74 (shows as page 76 of the entire document) and follow the instructions.

#29   walkman

walkman
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 14:00

To the prior question -- Photoshop is considered the professional's choice for digital editing (not necessarily the best 'painting' program). Lately, all the reviews I've seen have selected Photoshop Elements as the best lower priced product. PE has probably 90-95% of the capability of Photoshop.

Does your camera have the capability to shoot RAW format? If so, Photoshop (& PE) has a RAW import capability that gives a lot of control over lighting.

The book "the Photoshop CS book for digital photographers" includes an 18% gray card that you can use to correct the color balance. You can also get the card at a camera store. You put the card in your picture frame and take a shot to get the correct color using the eyedropper fix mentioned above.

A couple of other tips - be sure to use a tripod! Manual focus is much preferred. If you don't have a remote, use the camera self-timer to snap the picture. That way you don't shake the camera when you press the button.