Photo
- - - - -

Displaying all products on category page

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1   rebelina

rebelina
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 16:32

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice...

By default, if a category has sub-categories within it, osCommerce displays a list of the sub-categories, so the user has to choose one of these sub-categories to see any products. What I would like is to show the user ALL of the products in all sub-categories. The sub-categories themselves would still be available so that the user can "drill down" the products if desired.

I could add (or link) each product in the sub-category to the main category, but this seems a very cumbersome way of achieving this. The data is already in the database after all.

I have spent some time modifying /catalog/index.php, but I have only limited knowledge of PHP, and I haven't been able to crack it. There are two variables "nested" and "products"... $category_depth = 'nested'....

For an example of the default behaviour, please see:
http://www.feverbox....ex.php/cPath/45
I would like to see all products underneath the list of sub-categories.

I'm struggling to find a way to do it... someone must have done this in the past, but I can't find a mod either!

Can anyone help?

- Bec

#2   tobycatlin

tobycatlin
  • Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 16:43

I don't list all products because i think if people are presented with too much info in one go they don't pay any attention to it.

I pick 9 random products out of all the sub cats below the main category as in

http://www.sogifted....ex.php?cPath=12
I ain't got time to bleed

#3   radders

radders
  • Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 18:51

Another way you could go is to use one of the javascript menus or an expanded menu so that the navigation is quicker for the customer and he doen't just get presented with the subcategories after the first click.

I have to ask though. Why bother with subcategories at all if you don't want to use them? Don't forget that there is an option to select by manufacturer if you want to give the option to narrow down the list but still display all by default

Edited by radders, 31 March 2005 - 18:52.

#4   rebelina

rebelina
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 16:03

Another way you could go is to use one of the javascript menus or an expanded menu so that the navigation is quicker for the customer and he doen't just get presented with the subcategories after the first click.

I have to ask though. Why bother with subcategories at all if you don't want to use them? Don't forget that there is an option to select by manufacturer if you want to give the option to narrow down the list but still display all by default

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I don't like the way you don't see the available sub categories on the menu until you click on the parent category. I've been trying to find a way of displaying the entire tree, rather then just the parents, but no joy yet.

I want to use sub categories to allow users to drill down if they want, but otherwise to allow easy browsing without having to click down into sub cats. However, if they are looking for something specific they will be able to find it much more quickly using the sub cats. I guess you could say that I want to provide broad and specific access.

For info, found this thread on the subject:
http://forums.oscomm...73

As I said in my post there, with the help of the mod I have managed to display all products... but have lost the sub cats from the top! Moving in the right direction ....