• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Changes on Stylesheet not taking effect

Abhishek

I have made several changes to the colour codes in my stylesheet.css and saved the file but the changes do not show on the browser. i even removed the whole installation and installed OsCommerce again, still the same problem persists. Has anyone ever faced this problem ? Also let me add because I am a new user, the first installation I did to check out Os Commerce, I did play with the stylesheet colours then, and it had worked wonderfully then. Now the changes don't seem to take effect... What am I doing wrong ? I have only changed the colour codes...please help...

Are you uploading the stylesheet.css back onto the server after you change it?  I know I sometinmes slip up and forget that.  Also is your browser using a cached version of the page?  If it is, it won't show the change, try refreshing the screen.

Jeremy

I have made the changes on the server itself, i.e. throgh the browser using file manager in Os Commerce. Also I have deleted all offline content on my browser several times and tested.

I have made the changes on the server itself, i.e. throgh the browser using file manager in Os Commerce. Also I have deleted all offline content on my browser several times and tested.

Try using an FTP program to edit your files. You might want to avoid using the File Manager in the future as there are bugs to be fixed. It should work perfectly for MS3 final release.

Try using an FTP program to edit your files.  You might want to avoid using the File Manager in the future as there are bugs to be fixed.  It should work perfectly for MS3 final release.

Could you please recommend one which is free, user friendly and dependable ? I know its probably asking a lot ... ;)

Could you please recommend one which is free, user friendly and dependable ? I know its probably asking a lot ... ;)

Search the internet for freeware ftp. There are a few of them around. If you like, you can try them all and see what turns you on the most. :thumbsup:

Search the internet for freeware ftp.  There are a few of them around.  If you like, you can try them all and see what turns you on the most. :thumbsup:

If you are using something like CPANEL use its File Manager.

If not, use Crimson for text editing and Filezilla for FTP.

You can find these at a free download site called NONAGS.

P.S. I personally use Cute FTP and Dreamweaver for both FTP and SFTP. However, I can't say that their prices are very cute.

Hi

I am using the file manager from CPANEL. Are you sure it works ?

Works for me. If you are working with different encodings for different languages you must remember to change the browser encoding too! If your changes aren't showing it could be that the changes were coded using the wrong browser charset!

Just a suggestion, you might do well to check this.

Works for me. If you are working with different encodings for different languages you must remember to change the browser encoding too! If your changes aren't showing it could be that the changes were coded using the wrong browser charset!

Just a suggestion, you might do well to check this.

Tried everything. Even downloaded the stylesheet through ftp. Made changes in Front Page. Uploaded, overwrote the previous file. Still changes haven't taken effect. Why ? Why me ? :'(

I don't use it for osc, but I do edit files for another site using cpanel, and it works fine for that.

For osc I use a program called ssh for secure ftp, and then usually use wordpad for editing, sometimes adobe go live if I need to see line numbers.

Jeremy

Tried everything. Even downloaded the stylesheet through ftp. Made changes in Front Page. Uploaded, overwrote the previous file. Still changes haven't taken effect. Why ? Why me ? :'(

Archived