• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

UK Users, what would you recommend?

rb810

I have just found osc & have been getting my head around this great product.

My question here is to any UK users, and concerns the many contributions over credit card payments.

I will be aiming to use SSL & process the cards manually to start off with, I might consider a payment gateway at some stage. I have been trying a few contributions & found that I am having some concerns over the validity of credit cards. Has anybody found one that works best?

Also which contributions would you recommend me to take a look at, any help on the best path to start would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

I recently implemented this for a customer. It was only about 30 minutes work but because his site has so many other contributions loaded I did not make this into a contribution.

~ I updated the card module to ask for issue number, cvv number and start date.

~ Amended the database tables.

~ Amended the "admin/orders.php" + a couple of other files to suit.

~ Stuck in a "remove these details" button to destroy the CVV etc after the order has been put through.

~ I updated the CC Validation to allow all cards, but if the Card isn't recognised, it just say "Credit/Debit Card"...

I know it wasn't much work, and it seems to work quite well. At least the client loves it :)

I can release it as a contribution (when I can find time) but it may be faster for you to DIY...

Thanks for your reply burt,

I am a beginner here & was hoping to hear of a contribution to help me get started.

However I am willing to 'get my hands dirty' & I guess there is no time like the present to get to know the insides of osc.

Are there any materials that are recommended reading on the structure etc that might help. I don't really want to run around blind!

I will have a look at what you have suggested, could I be so bold to ask a couple of questions from your response?

1)~ I updated the card module to ask for issue number, cvv number and start date.

I guess I can use the original coding located catalog\includes\modules\payment\cc.php as a guide to code for the prompts for these, would I have to declare/amend anything in any different files if so which?

2)~ Amended the database tables

Just create the 3 extra coumns for issue, cvv & start date in the orders table. I have looked throught the db & can not find any other reference to credit cards are there others to change?

3)~ Amended the "admin/orders.php" + a couple of other files to suit.

Which other files do I need to look for?

4)~ Stuck in a "remove these details" button to destroy the CVV etc after the order has been put through.

Where did you go to do this?

5)~ I updated the CC Validation to allow all cards, but if the Card isn't recognised, it just say "Credit/Debit Card"...

Is this something in the coding or accessible in the admin payment area? If it is coding which files do I need to be looking for?

One last one, are there any other core contributions that you would recommend for osc when being used in the UK

Richard - when you say that you intend to process the cards manually to begin with - what do you mean by that? Are you aware that to even do that you'll need to have a Merchant account that covers both Visa and Mastercard before you can take payments and pay them into your bank? If you have one then that's fine, but if you haven't then you should be aware that it can take 6 to 12 weeks to get a merchant id, and it doesn't come cheap!

For the UK (assuming you don't have your own merchant id) your best options for card processing are, in my opinion, these:

1. Under ?20,000 a year turnover, use PayPal

2. Over ?20,000 a year turnover use HSBC E-secure

3. Barclays & Nat West have their own systems - but those (in my opinion) are rubbish compared to E-secure.

Vger

I have just found osc & have been getting my head around this great product.

My question here is to any UK users, and concerns the many contributions over credit card payments.

I will be aiming to use SSL & process the cards manually to start off with, I might consider a payment gateway at some stage. I have been trying a few contributions & found that I am having some concerns over the validity of credit cards. Has anybody found one that works best?

Also which contributions would you recommend me to take a look at, any help on the best path to start would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Thanks for the heads up on the card processing Vger.

I have been in business with a bricks & mortar store for 10 years now with a merchant account already inplace. We have had an ecommerce store for 4 years but are really unhappy with the current limitations of the cart we have been using, hence my tentative steps into osc.

We process the cards through our c/c machine after we have carried out some extra checks with the customer to try & reduce fraudulent transactions, also we have items online that are not instock & give the customer the option to wait or cancel, processing the card if the are happy to wait for the goods to come into stock.

I have just taken a look at your site & it looks great, what contributions would you recommend?

Archived