- - - - -

What does it mean to dump?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1   fantasyware

fantasyware
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:24 AM

Hi,

I am installing a contibution called menu tabs v2

It wants me to "dump" various SQL commands?  What does it mean to dump?  I have mysql admin and use it to use SQL commands, but am not sure how I should "dump" the SQL that the author gives.

thanks for your help,
-Alex

#2   stevel

stevel
  • Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 04:03 AM

Export is what you want.

#3   fantasyware

fantasyware
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 07:25 AM

How would export help?  I see that export means to saveing your database as another file, but what does that have to do with dump?

#4   stevel

stevel
  • Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 12:53 PM

Sorry, I have not looked at the contribution in question.  Typically, when one refers to "dumping" a database, they mean to export the contents to a file that can be later imported. It could be that the contribution author meant something entirely different.

If you have a series of SQL commands that are to be executed, to insert rows or create tables, then you want the "SQL" tab in phpmyadmin.

#5   fantasyware

fantasyware
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 05:40 PM

Hi, thanks a lot for your help.  I do know how to use the SQL command as you said, but I'm a bit confused still about why the author would want me to "dump" the database.

The reason I'm so concerned is because I tried not dumping the database and just inserting the commands into SQL and the contribution did not seem to work properly.

Here are the instructions pertaining to dumping:

---------------

Dumping data for table `tab_conf_active`
#

INSERT INTO tab_conf_active (tab_conf_active_id, tab_conf_active_name, tab_conf_active_on) VALUES (1, 'Default', 1);
INSERT INTO tab_conf_active (tab_conf_active_id, tab_conf_active_name, tab_conf_active_on) VALUES (3, 'Right', 0);
INSERT INTO tab_conf_active (tab_conf_active_id, tab_conf_active_name, tab_conf_active_on) VALUES (2, 'Left', 0);
# --------------------------------------------------------

Can you make any sense of it?

Thanks again,
-Alex

#6   stevel

stevel
  • Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 07:13 PM

Ok.  The "dumping" is not part of the instructions - rather, it's output from the  export command the author used.  Just execute the INSERT commands.