• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

n's appear beneath "Categories" heading

All,

I've had a strange recurrent problem with a series of 'n's appearing beneath the "Categories" heading on my pages. The number of n's seems to be related to the number of subcategories that I have.

I had this problem once before. I had inserted a banner on the links_exchange page. When I returned to the original script the n's vanished. Now I'm running banners with the footer/banner manager and they're back. I've tried returning to the original footer.php but that doesn't change the problem, so they may not be related at all.

To view the problem visit http://www.spiraltreasures.com/index.php?cPath=144 for an example.

I've hit the wall on this one.

Thanks, Terri

I experienced similar problems on my site with "n's" appearing on it. The only time I see this happen is when I use the File Manager in the admin section to edit the code on the pages. If I edit the code 2 or more times I get this error. My solution was just to use notepad or any other program to edit the php code and then upload it to my site. Haven't had the problem since.

ISSUE:

Display shows the 'n' character in index page when categories are selected.

You have edited the index.php using the online file manager which has removed the \ backslashes from the code, this is a known issue with using the file manager to edit files, it is better to use an ftp program such as ws_ftp to download the file and edit it locally then ftp back to the server.

FIX:

To fix this issue you will need to find the 4 instances of "n"; on your index.php and change them to "\n";

around line #104 look for this code

while ($categories = tep_db_fetch_array($categories_query)) { 
     $rows++; 
     $cPath_new = tep_get_path($categories['categories_id']); 
     $width = (int)(100 / MAX_DISPLAY_CATEGORIES_PER_ROW) . '%'; 
     echo '                <td align="center" class="smallText" width="' . $width . '" valign="top"><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, $cPath_new) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $categories['categories_image'], $categories['categories_name'], SUBCATEGORY_IMAGE_WIDTH, SUBCATEGORY_IMAGE_HEIGHT) . '<br>' . $categories['categories_name'] . '</a></td>' . "n"; 
     if ((($rows / MAX_DISPLAY_CATEGORIES_PER_ROW) == floor($rows / MAX_DISPLAY_CATEGORIES_PER_ROW)) && ($rows != $number_of_categories)) { 
       echo '              </tr>' . "n"; 
       echo '              <tr>' . "n"; 
     } 
   }

change to this

while ($categories = tep_db_fetch_array($categories_query)) { 
     $rows++; 
     $cPath_new = tep_get_path($categories['categories_id']); 
     $width = (int)(100 / MAX_DISPLAY_CATEGORIES_PER_ROW) . '%'; 
     echo '                <td align="center" class="smallText" width="' . $width . '" valign="top"><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, $cPath_new) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $categories['categories_image'], $categories['categories_name'], SUBCATEGORY_IMAGE_WIDTH, SUBCATEGORY_IMAGE_HEIGHT) . '<br>' . $categories['categories_name'] . '</a></td>' . "\n"; 
     if ((($rows / MAX_DISPLAY_CATEGORIES_PER_ROW) == floor($rows / MAX_DISPLAY_CATEGORIES_PER_ROW)) && ($rows != $number_of_categories)) { 
       echo '              </tr>' . "\n"; 
       echo '              <tr>' . "\n"; 
     } 
   }

and then around line #256 look for this code

while ($filterlist = tep_db_fetch_array($filterlist_query)) { 
         $options[] = array('id' => $filterlist['id'], 'text' => $filterlist['name']); 
       } 
       echo tep_draw_pull_down_menu('filter_id', $options, (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['filter_id']) ? $HTTP_GET_VARS['filter_id'] : ''), 'onchange="this.form.submit()"'); 
       echo '</form></td>' . "n"; 
     } 
   }

and change to this

while ($filterlist = tep_db_fetch_array($filterlist_query)) { 
         $options[] = array('id' => $filterlist['id'], 'text' => $filterlist['name']); 
       } 
       echo tep_draw_pull_down_menu('filter_id', $options, (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['filter_id']) ? $HTTP_GET_VARS['filter_id'] : ''), 'onchange="this.form.submit()"'); 
       echo '</form></td>' . "\n"; 
     } 
   }

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

Archived