• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What version is my shop?

Jack_mcs

The question of what version a shop is has been getting asked a lot lately. This is meant to give a quick way to check it.

- First look in includes/application_top.php and find this line

// define the project version

Under that will be a line that starts with define('PROJECT_VERSION'. These are the main choices:

define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'osCommerce 2.2-MS1'); //released prior to July/2003

define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'osCommerce 2.2-CVS'); //released between the above/below dates

define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'osCommerce 2.2-MS2'); //released after July/2003

define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC1'); //released March/2007

define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'osCommerce 3.xxx'); //not released for general use

The versions before MS2 are not compatible with MS2, which is the main version is use. Between MS2 and RC1, there were two patch updates. There isn't a version number for those patches (in the files) so you have to compare file content to see if they are installed. First, download the patches from here. Extract the contents and compare a few of the files with those in your shop. If your shop has them installed, then you probably have the latest MS2 version.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The question of what version a shop is has been getting asked a lot lately. This is meant to give a quick way to check it.

- First look in includes/application_top.php and find this line

// define the project version

Under that will be a line that starts with define('PROJECT_VERSION'. These are the main choices:

define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'osCommerce 2.2-CVS'); //released between the above/below dates

define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'osCommerce 2.2-MS2'); //released after July/2003

define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC1'); //released March/2007

define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'osCommerce 3.xxx'); //not released for general use

The versions before MS2 are not compatible with MS2, which is the main version is use. Between MS2 and RC1, there were two patch updates. There isn't a version number for those patches (in the files) so you have to compare file content to see if they are installed. First, download the patches from here. Extract the contents and compare a few of the files with those in your shop. If your shop has them installed, then you probably have the latest MS2 version.

Jack

Fantastic post, as always, Jack.

I would like to suggest the following to finish this off.

After

If your shop has them installed, then you probably have the latest MS2 version.

Add

Check that the bugfixes to the patch have been done.

In this case, you could change define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'osCommerce 2.2-MS2');

to

define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'osCommerce 2.2-MS2 with modified August 2006 patch.');

Thanks for mentioning that. If the contribution I mentioned is used for the patches, it changes the version string. And it should be used over the original patch files since thre is a mistake in those.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, i still don't know my version.

What i have in my application_top.php is:

// for internal use until final v1.0 version is ready
 define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'Preview Release 2.1');

I need to know my version because i'm trying to install a PayPal contribution. I need to have this information so i can choose a contribution that can be compatible with my OsCommerce site.

Thank you for your attention ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I need to know my version because i'm trying to install a PayPal contribution. I need to have this information so i can choose a contribution that can be compatible with my OsCommerce site.

It looks like it is very, very old, prior to

You would be better starting from scratch and install the latest.

As Leslie mentioned, it is quite old. It is probably a version from 2002. It most likely doesn't even have the code fixes that the final release of MS1 had and will not be compatible with many contributins. You should scrap it. It will only cause problems and there will be little support from it here since most won't have that version.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 3 months later...

Hi

I can’t say how useful I have found this topic.

I have just checked my version and found I am running 2.2-MS2.

This seems to be the minimum requirement.

I guess it would make sense to add the two “bug fixes” but I can’t seem to find them.

Can somebody point me in the right direction, or am I worrying too much and the version I have is sufficient ?

Thanks

Bob

Hi

I can’t say how useful I have found this topic.

I have just checked my version and found I am running 2.2-MS2.

This seems to be the minimum requirement.

I guess it would make sense to add the two “bug fixes” but I can’t seem to find them.

Can somebody point me in the right direction, or am I worrying too much and the version I have is sufficient ?

Thanks

Bob

Jack posted the link in his first post in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jack, thanks for the handy hint on where to find that information...

I am in the process of trying to figure out what version I have - I know it's "osCommerce 2.2-MS2", am trying to figure out if it's been patched or not. Provided it's had both patches applied, is it worth upgrading to osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC1? For security reasons? (I'm happy with the way contributions etc are interacting on my site).

Thanks for your time!

Hmmm, so it appears I don't have any of the patches added (even though I could have sworn I put one on a while ago...)

Anyway, given that - should I apply the patches, or should I try and update to v2.2 RC1?

Thanks for any advice :)

Hmmm, so it appears I don't have any of the patches added (even though I could have sworn I put one on a while ago...)

Anyway, given that - should I apply the patches, or should I try and update to v2.2 RC1?

Thanks for any advice :)

The instructions for RC1 says the patches for MS2 have to already be installed, although I think, at least, some of them are in that update. To be safe you would have to install all of the MS2 patches. I, personally, wouldn't bother upgrading to RC2 from an MS2 shop unless there was a specific reason to do so.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The instructions for RC1 says the patches for MS2 have to already be installed, although I think, at least, some of them are in that update. To be safe you would have to install all of the MS2 patches. I, personally, wouldn't bother upgrading to RC2 from an MS2 shop unless there was a specific reason to do so.

Jack

Thanks for your quick reply Jack, you really are a credit to this forum. That's what I was thinking in response to RC2 (that it's not worth bothering to upgrade), the shop is working as it should, despite a huge number of contributions - don't want to stuff that up!

Okay, off to apply these patches, wish me luck :)

• 3 weeks later...

Jack

It looks to me like a number of RC1+ patches are due to php5/MySQL5 compatibility, so at least some of them should probably be added? I'm about to upgrade a few MS2 stores from June 2005 to accommodate the new platform, so I was just looking into this.

Thanks

It looks to me like a number of RC1+ patches are due to php5/MySQL5 compatibility, so at least some of them should probably be added? I'm about to upgrade a few MS2 stores from June 2005 to accommodate the new platform, so I was just looking into this.

Thanks

Those patches are available in the MS2 updates so there's no reason to update to RC2 just for that.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 1 month later...

Ok, i have found my version 2.2 MS2 it is, was not sure if it was patched,

so downloaded the patches from the link provided above and unzipped.

Rather than start comparing whole files I thought I would look at the database changes required and it looks as if these are already done (see below)

required by update patch:

ALTER TABLE whos_online MODIFY COLUMN last_page_url VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL;

ALTER TABLE customers MODIFY COLUMN customers_default_address_id INTEGER;

ALTER TABLE customers_basket MODIFY COLUMN final_price DECIMAL(15,4);

found in my database:

`whos_online` (

`customer_id` int(11) default NULL,

`full_name` varchar(64) NOT NULL,

`session_id` varchar(128) NOT NULL,

`ip_address` varchar(15) NOT NULL,

`time_entry` varchar(14) NOT NULL,

`time_last_click` varchar(14) NOT NULL,

`last_page_url` varchar(255) NOT NULL

)

`customers_basket` (

`customers_basket_id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,

`customers_id` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',

`products_id` tinytext NOT NULL,

`customers_basket_quantity` int(2) NOT NULL default '0',

`final_price` decimal(15,4) default NULL,

`customers_basket_date_added` varchar(8) default NULL,

PRIMARY KEY (`customers_basket_id`)

`customers`

--

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `customers` (

`customers_id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,

`customers_gender` char(1) NOT NULL,

`customers_firstname` varchar(32) NOT NULL,

`customers_lastname` varchar(32) NOT NULL,

`customers_dob` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00',

`customers_email_address` varchar(96) NOT NULL,

`customers_default_address_id` int(11) default NULL,

`customers_telephone` varchar(32) NOT NULL,

`customers_fax` varchar(32) default NULL,

`customers_password` varchar(40) NOT NULL,

`customers_newsletter` char(1) default NULL,

PRIMARY KEY (`customers_id`)

)

can I safely say i have the patches installed??

many thanks in advance for your time

Urte

I am using a templatemonster template on MS2.2 which is installed in July 2007 from cpanel.

I checked the update-20060817.txt file and try to match the codes with installed file, in some files changes are installed and in some files nothing... so what i have to do... make all the changes? Hope this will not create any problem... by changing those unchanged codes.

Hope only applying update-20060817.txt changes complete both the patches?

What to do with the sql and other files in the folders? Those are original files, i think and no need to do anything with those.

Please reply to my problem. Thanks

I am using a templatemonster template on MS2.2 which is installed in July 2007 from cpanel.

I checked the update-20060817.txt file and try to match the codes with installed file, in some files changes are installed and in some files nothing... so what i have to do... make all the changes? Hope this will not create any problem... by changing those unchanged codes.

Hope only applying update-20060817.txt changes complete both the patches?

What to do with the sql and other files in the folders? Those are original files, i think and no need to do anything with those.

Please reply to my problem. Thanks

Templates can change the files that need to be updated but there is no way for anyone on the forum to provide an answer for you since there are so many variations in the templates. You can contact templatemonster and pay for an updated version of your template, take your chances with making the changes yourself or pay someone to make them for you. If you apply the changes to just the code that exists, odds are it will be OK. But if not, it could cause problems to popup.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

only the changes in the update-20060817.txt file is required?

What to do with the sql and other files in the folders?

You should only change the files mentioned in the update file. The others should be the same as yours but changing them may affect your template and there is no reason to do that anyway. The only difference between the databases are the changes mentioned in the update so that is all that needs to be done. Of course, as mentioned, this all applies to a standard shop. There is always some chance that the template maker decided to get creative, which can cause problems, although that is not usually the case as far as this update is concerned.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

thanks jack, i updated the ms2.2 and everything looks running fine. So, now i can say my shop is secure and no need to upgrade to RC1 or RC2.

Secondly can you suggest any SEO mod, which is easy to apply and effective.. because lots of mods for this are available.

Secondly can you suggest any SEO mod, which is easy to apply and effective.. because lots of mods for this are available.
That's not a subject for this thread. You need to post that in general support, or search the forums since it is a common question.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived