• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Request Product Reviews

kymation

Reviews are good for your business; they help customers make buying decisions, and they help search engines find your site.

The trick is getting your customers to review the products that they purchased.

This contribution sends an email to every customer asking them to review the product(s) they bought.

It can be scheduled to run a fixed number of days after the order has been marked completed. The

email that is sent is based on a template, so it is easy to modify to suit your business.

Support/comment/requests in this thread. The contribution is here: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,5471

Regards

Jim

Edited by kymation

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Just what I was looking for!

I'm running into a Mysql error when attempting to upload the request_review.sql into the database. The error I'm receiving is

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'orders` ADD `reminder_sent` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0' AFTER `orders_status' at line 1

Mysql version is: 4.1.22-standard

Thanks in advance for any help.

Currently running 76 contibutions.

I'm running into a Mysql error when attempting to upload the request_review.sql into the database. The error I'm receiving is

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'orders` ADD `reminder_sent` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0' AFTER `orders_status' at line 1

Hi,

This is what I was looking for as well. But I am getting the same error as you.

Any help would be great!

Jamie

Bah -- I'm going blind. Didn't even see that. The command should be:

ALTER TABLE `orders`  ADD  `reminder_sent` tinyint( 1  )  NOT  NULL default  '0' AFTER  `orders_status`;

Regards

Jim

Edited by kymation

Just installed this today and all went well with install. In testing, we are not getting the expected results. We just placed an order today, both with newsletter option selected and without, then updated the last_modified column to 10/01/07 and 'orders_status' = '3' via MySQL 5, as is mentioned in install notes. In the configuration, Days Delay For Review email is set to '10' and Review Email Limit set to '1'. When we test the code by using this url (with our domainname) http://www.sample.com/automatic/review_mail.php, the correct message is displayed. The admin is notified via the store email on file, however it indicates '0' emails sent. Our test customer in return gets no email and in looking at the Orders table, the column 'reminder_sent' remains '0'.

Not sure where to look here, any ideas? We do have Register Globals turned off on our server if that could be the cause as has been in past contributions.

Just installed this today and all went well with install. In testing, we are not getting the expected results. We just placed an order today, both with newsletter option selected and without, then updated the last_modified column to 10/01/07 and 'orders_status' = '3' via MySQL 5, as is mentioned in install notes. In the configuration, Days Delay For Review email is set to '10' and Review Email Limit set to '1'. When we test the code by using this url (with our domainname) http://www.sample.com/automatic/review_mail.php, the correct message is displayed. The admin is notified via the store email on file, however it indicates '0' emails sent. Our test customer in return gets no email and in looking at the Orders table, the column 'reminder_sent' remains '0'.

Not sure where to look here, any ideas? We do have Register Globals turned off on our server if that could be the cause as has been in past contributions.

Disregard this for now. We were able to get the emails. Maybe there was quite a server delay running the script. Anyhow, will keep you posted if anything else is found. Thanks again and Great contribution!

This script doesn't use any global variables directly, so it won't have any problems with Register Globals being off. It does use some of the standard osCommerce functions, mostly database and email, and those may use globals. You should have seen error messages if this was a problem, so I doubt it was.

Was your last updated date 2007-10-01 00:00:00 (in that exact format?) The script may have misread the date if the format was different. Also, check that customers_newsletter in the customers database table is set to 1 for this customer, or set 'Review email limit' in the Admin to 0.

That's all I can think of right now. Please post here if this works or not.

Regards

Jim

Thanks Jim!

Seems to work great now. I just have to figure out how to setup a cron! haha. At least I can do it manually everyday until then.

Thanks,

Jamie

I'm not much good at setting CRON jobs myself, so I decided not to try to explain it in the instructions. However, if you are using shared hosting, your control panel may give you an easy way to set it up. It's definitely worth looking for.

Regards

Jim

I'm not much good at setting CRON jobs myself, so I decided not to try to explain it in the instructions. However, if you are using shared hosting, your control panel may give you an easy way to set it up. It's definitely worth looking for.

Regards

Jim

I didn't have a chance to look in the control panel yet but I email my host and they set it up for me! I will take a look in the control panel to see if it is possible to do it myself as there are a few other things I would like automated as well. Anyway thanks for the great contribution I sent out some review emails and have two people add reviews already from them!

Thanks again,

Jamie

Okey step for step. We have a dedicated server with our own control panel. So i setup the cron job for every day, every hour, every minute.

There is none mails going out.

When i execute the php file i get this:

The www.samplesite.com review reminder script finished execution on 
19 Oct 2007 13:19:51

email messages were sent.

So i guess thats okey. As next i registered a account with Newsletter. And in the admin the newsletter was 1 and the delay is 10.

Oh,.. i also NOT used the orignal SQL tables. but the second updated:

INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES (NULL, 'Days delay for review email', 'REVIEW_REMINDER_DELAY', '10', 'Number of days to wait before sending a review reminder email', 1, 998, now(), now(), NULL, NULL);
INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES (NULL, 'Review email limit', 'REVIEW_REMINDER_NEWSLETTER', '1', 'Send review reminder email only to customers who accept newsletters (set to 1)', 1, 999, now(), now(), NULL, NULL);
ALTER TABLE `orders` ADD `reminder_sent` TINYINT(1) NOT NULL default '0' AFTER `orders_status`;

I don't know if there is any difference between them. As an customer i don't get any mails. Anyone any idea what i'm doing wrong ?

Okey step for step. We have a dedicated server with our own control panel. So i setup the cron job for every day, every hour, every minute.

There is none mails going out.

When i execute the php file i get this:

The www.samplesite.com review reminder script finished execution on 
19 Oct 2007 13:19:51

email messages were sent.

So i guess thats okey. As next i registered a account with Newsletter. And in the admin the newsletter was 1 and the delay is 10.

Oh,.. i also NOT used the orignal SQL tables. but the second updated:

INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES (NULL, 'Days delay for review email', 'REVIEW_REMINDER_DELAY', '10', 'Number of days to wait before sending a review reminder email', 1, 998, now(), now(), NULL, NULL);
INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES (NULL, 'Review email limit', 'REVIEW_REMINDER_NEWSLETTER', '1', 'Send review reminder email only to customers who accept newsletters (set to 1)', 1, 999, now(), now(), NULL, NULL);
ALTER TABLE `orders` ADD `reminder_sent` TINYINT(1) NOT NULL default '0' AFTER `orders_status`;

I don't know if there is any difference between them. As an customer i don't get any mails. Anyone any idea what i'm doing wrong ?

You state that you set up a test account. Did you place an order from that account? Did you alter the record of that order in the orders table to have a last_modified date at least 11 days in the past? Was the orders_status of that order set to 3?

Regards

Jim

You state that you set up a test account. Did you place an order from that account? Did you alter the record of that order in the orders table to have a last_modified date at least 11 days in the past? Was the orders_status of that order set to 3?

Regards

Jim

Okey, i didnt do any of it. I now checkt the DB i use DB 4.2. Anyhow In de table "orders" the value was 5 and i changed it to 3. Is this right?

And as second one...the cel "last_modified" . I dont get it. Where do i set the date? what do i have to change?

and now in admin. i put it to 10 and 1 for the newsletter on. is this okey ?

Okey, i didnt do any of it. I now checkt the DB i use DB 4.2. Anyhow In de table "orders" the value was 5 and i changed it to 3. Is this right?

And as second one...the cel "last_modified" . I dont get it. Where do i set the date? what do i have to change?

5 is never a valid number for orders_status, so I'm assuming you are in the wrong place. You need to be looking at the orders table in your database. Look for the columns that I mentioned above, and make the changes in the column values for your test order.

If you don't want to mess with the database, set the status of your order in the Admin to "completed," then set the delay for the "Days delay for review email" to 1, then wait a couple of days.

Regards

Jim

5 is never a valid number for orders_status, so I'm assuming you are in the wrong place. You need to be looking at the orders table in your database. Look for the columns that I mentioned above, and make the changes in the column values for your test order.

If you don't want to mess with the database, set the status of your order in the Admin to "completed," then set the delay for the "Days delay for review email" to 1, then wait a couple of days.

Regards

Jim

I set in the admin,.. the status to "completed". In the mean time check this:

I got 2 value options.

1.gif

2.gif

I'm a real rookie in DB so, go easy on me :P :huh:

Was your last updated date 2007-10-01 00:00:00 (in that exact format?) The script may have misread the date if the format was different. Also, check that customers_newsletter in the customers database table is set to 1 for this customer, or set 'Review email limit' in the Admin to 0.

And where do i place a date? I never saw it before.

If you have the default orders status then order status 3 is "Delivered" in the admin panel under Localization>Orders Status. You need to make sure you have placed a test order and changed the status of the test order to Delivered.

If you don't want to wait for 10 days for testing purposes, change the "Days Delay for Review Mail" in the configuration to "1".

*note if you use a different order status (other than delivered) like I do, then you need to change the "3" in the following line in review_mail.php

where o.orders_status = '3'

to whatever number correspondes to the Order Status you use. In my case I use "Shipped" which has a number of "23" in my database.

Good Luck.

Currently running 76 contibutions.

I set in the admin,.. the status to "completed". In the mean time check this:

I got 2 value options.

<snip>

I'm a real rookie in DB so, go easy on me :P :huh:

You're looking at the format of the database. That 5 is the length of the field -- the number of characters allowed in that column. You need to be looking at the contents of that table. Click on the "browse" tab at the top, then find the row that corresponds to your test order. Click on the Edit icon in that row and edit the fields in that form.

Regards

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

This is just what I have been looking for, for years!!!

Thank you!!

When I run:

CODE

UPDATE `orders` SET `reminder_sent` = `1`

I get:

CODE

SQL query:

UPDATE `orders` SET `reminder_sent` = `1`

MySQL said: Documentation

#1054 - Unknown column '1' in 'field list'

Any ideas?

Rich

I managed to frig the above but now get:

Warning: main(includes/functions/downloads_controller.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/html/includes/functions/general.php on line 1345

Warning: main(includes/functions/downloads_controller.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/html/includes/functions/general.php on line 1345

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/functions/downloads_controller.php' (include_path='.:/php/includes:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /var/www/html/includes/functions/general.php on line 1345

This contribution doesn't make any changes to /includes/functions/general.php. This looks like a change made by some other mod. Did you add something having to do with downloads?

Regards

Jim

• 1 month later...

Excellent contribution. Works perfectly. However, the email function does not work. Can someone help please?

here is my product_review_write.php file:

<?php
/*
 $Id: product_reviews_write.php,v 1.55 2003/06/20 14:25:58 hpdl Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
 http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

require('includes/application_top.php');

if (!tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {
$navigation->set_snapshot();
tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, '', 'SSL'));
 }

$product_info_query = tep_db_query("select p.products_id, p.products_model, p.products_image, p.products_price, p.products_tax_class_id, pd.products_name from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd where p.products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and p.products_status = '1' and p.products_id = pd.products_id and pd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
 if (!tep_db_num_rows($product_info_query)) {
tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_REVIEW_NOTICE, tep_get_all_get_params(array('action'))));
 } else {
$product_info = tep_db_fetch_array($product_info_query);
 }

$customer_query = tep_db_query("select customers_firstname, customers_lastname from " . TABLE_CUSTOMERS . " where customers_id = '" . (int)$customer_id . "'");
 $customer = tep_db_fetch_array($customer_query);

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['action']) && ($HTTP_GET_VARS['action'] == 'process')) {
$rating = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['rating']);
$review = tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['review']);

$error = false;
if (strlen($review) < REVIEW_TEXT_MIN_LENGTH) {
  $error = true;

$messageStack->add('review', JS_REVIEW_TEXT);
}

if (($rating < 1) || ($rating > 5)) {
  $error = true;

$messageStack->add('review', JS_REVIEW_RATING);
}

if ($error == false) {
  tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_REVIEWS . " (products_id, customers_id, customers_name, reviews_rating, date_added) values ('" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "', '" . (int)$customer_id . "', '" . tep_db_input($customer['customers_firstname']) . ' ' . tep_db_input($customer['customers_lastname']) . "', '" . tep_db_input($rating) . "', now())");
  $insert_id = tep_db_insert_id();

tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_REVIEWS_DESCRIPTION . " (reviews_id, languages_id, reviews_text) values ('" . (int)$insert_id . "', '" . (int)$languages_id . "', '" . tep_db_input($review) . "')");
//notify store owner of new review to approve => added by Stu2000

$subject = 'Product Review - Approval Required';
$message = 'There is a new product review awaiting approval from your online store, please click the link below to view this review:<br><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEW_EMAIL) . '">' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEW_EMAIL) . '</a>';
$from_name = 'Product Reviews';
tep_mail(STORE_OWNER, STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS, $subject, $message, $from_name, STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS);

//end notify store owner

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_REVIEW_NOTICE, tep_get_all_get_params(array('action'))));
}
 }

if ($new_price = tep_get_products_special_price($product_info['products_id'])) {
$products_price = '<s>' . $currencies->display_price($product_info['products_price'], tep_get_tax_rate($product_info['products_tax_class_id'])) . '</s> <span class="productSpecialPrice">' . $currencies->display_price($new_price, tep_get_tax_rate($product_info['products_tax_class_id'])) . '</span>';
 } else {
$products_price = $currencies->display_price($product_info['products_price'], tep_get_tax_rate($product_info['products_tax_class_id']));
 }

if (tep_not_null($product_info['products_model'])) {
$products_name = $product_info['products_name'] . '<br><span class="smallText">[' . $product_info['products_model'] . ']</span>';
 } else {
$products_name = $product_info['products_name'];
 }

require(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '/' . FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS_WRITE);

$breadcrumb->add(NAVBAR_TITLE, tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS, tep_get_all_get_params()));
?>
<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html <?php echo HTML_PARAMS; ?>>
<head>
<script type="text/javascript" src="lightbox/js/prototype.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="lightbox/js/scriptaculous.js?load=effects"></script>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="lightbox/css/lightbox.css" type="text/css" media="screen">
<script type="text/javascript" src="lightbox/js/lightbox.js"></script>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">
<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>
<base href="<?php echo (($request_type == 'SSL') ? HTTPS_SERVER : HTTP_SERVER) . DIR_WS_CATALOG; ?>">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css">
<script language="javascript"><!--
function checkForm() {
 var error = 0;
 var error_message = "<?php echo JS_ERROR; ?>";

var review = document.product_reviews_write.review.value;

if (review.length < <?php echo REVIEW_TEXT_MIN_LENGTH; ?>) {
error_message = error_message + "<?php echo JS_REVIEW_TEXT; ?>";
error = 1;
 }

if ((document.product_reviews_write.rating[0].checked) || (document.product_reviews_write.rating[1].checked) || (document.product_reviews_write.rating[2].checked) || (document.product_reviews_write.rating[3].checked) || (document.product_reviews_write.rating[4].checked)) {
 } else {
error_message = error_message + "<?php echo JS_REVIEW_RATING; ?>";
error = 1;
 }

if (error == 1) {
alert(error_message);
return false;
 } else {
return true;
 }
}

function popupWindow(url) {
 window.open(url,'popupWindow','toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=no,res
izable=yes,copyhistory=no,width=100,height=100,screenX=150,screenY=150,top=150,le
ft=150')
}
//--></script>
</head>
<body marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" topmargin="0" bottommargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0">
<!-- header //-->
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header.php'); ?>
<!-- header_eof //-->

<!-- body //-->
<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
 <tr>
<!-- body_text //-->
<td width="100%" valign="top"><?php echo tep_draw_form('product_reviews_write', tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS_WRITE, 'action=process&products_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id']), 'post', 'onSubmit="return checkForm();"'); ?><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
  <tr>
	<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
	  <tr>
		<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0>
	 <tr><td background=images/m27.gif width=503 height=36>
		  <table border=0 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0>
		   <tr><td colspan=2 height=10></td></tr>
		   <tr><td width=52></td><td width=370 class=tx3><?php echo $products_name; ?></td>
		   <td width="80" align="center" class=tx3><?php echo $products_price; ?></td>
		   </tr>
		   <tr><td colspan=2 height=8></td></tr>
		  </table>
		   <tr><td background=images/m31.gif width=503 height=6></tr></td>
		</td>
	  </tr>
	</table></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
	<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>
  </tr>
<?php
 if ($messageStack->size('review') > 0) {
?>
  <tr>
	<td><?php echo $messageStack->output('review'); ?></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
  </tr>
<?php
 }
?>
  <tr>
	<td><table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
	  <tr>
		<td valign="top"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
		  <tr>
			<td class="main"><?php echo '<b>' . SUB_TITLE_FROM . '</b> ' . tep_output_string_protected($customer['customers_firstname'] . ' ' . $customer['customers_lastname']); ?></td>
		  </tr>
		  <tr>
			<td class="main"><b><?php echo SUB_TITLE_REVIEW; ?></b></td>
		  </tr>
		  <tr>
			<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2" class="infoBox">
			  <tr class="infoBoxContents">
				<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2">
				  <tr>
					<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_textarea_field('review', 'soft', 60, 15); ?></td>
				  </tr>
				  <tr>
					<td class="smallText" align="right"><?php echo TEXT_NO_HTML; ?></td>
				  </tr>
				  <tr>
					<td class="main"><?php echo '<b>' . SUB_TITLE_RATING . '</b> ' . TEXT_BAD . ' ' . tep_draw_radio_field('rating', '1') . ' ' . tep_draw_radio_field('rating', '2') . ' ' . tep_draw_radio_field('rating', '3') . ' ' . tep_draw_radio_field('rating', '4') . ' ' . tep_draw_radio_field('rating', '5') . ' ' . TEXT_GOOD; ?></td>
				  </tr>
				</table></td>
			  </tr>
			</table></td>
		  </tr>
		  <tr>
		  </tr>
		  <tr>
			<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2" class="infoBox">
			  <tr class="infoBoxContents">
				<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
				  <tr>
					<td width="10"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '10', '1'); ?></td>
					<td class="main"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS, tep_get_all_get_params(array('reviews_id', 'action'))) . '">' . tep_image_button('button_back.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_BACK) . '</a>'; ?></td>
					<td class="main" align="right"><?php echo tep_image_submit('button_continue.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_CONTINUE); ?></td>
					<td width="10"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '10', '1'); ?></td>
				  </tr>
				</table></td>
			  </tr>
			</table></td>
		  </tr>
		</table></td>
		<td width="<?php echo SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH + 10; ?>" align="right" valign="top"><table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
		  <tr>
			<td align="center" class="smallText">
<?php
 if (tep_not_null($product_info['products_image'])) {
?>
<script language="javascript"><!--
document.write('<?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $product_info['products_image']) . '" target="_blank" rel="lightbox" title="'.$product_info['products_name'].'" >' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $product_info['products_image'], $product_info['products_name'], SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH, SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT, 'hspace="5" vspace="5"') . '<br>' . TEXT_CLICK_TO_ENLARGE . '</a>'; ?>');
//--></script>
<noscript>
<?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $product_info['products_image']) . '" target="_blank" rel="lightbox" title="'.$product_info['products_name'].'" >' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $product_info['products_image'], $product_info['products_name'], SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH, SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT, 'hspace="5" vspace="5"') . '<br>' . TEXT_CLICK_TO_ENLARGE . '</a>'; ?>');
</noscript>
<?php
 }

echo '<p><a href="' . tep_href_link(basename($PHP_SELF), tep_get_all_get_params(array('action')) . 'action=buy_now') . '">' . tep_image_button('button_in_cart.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_IN_CART) . '</a></p>';
?>
			</td>
		  </tr>
		</table>
	  </td>
	</table></td>
  </tr>
</table></form></td>
<!-- body_text_eof //-->
 </tr>
</table>
<!-- body_eof //-->

<!-- footer //-->
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'footer.php'); ?>
<!-- footer_eof //-->
</body>
</html>
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'application_bottom.php'); ?>

Excellent contribution. Works perfectly. However, the email function does not work. Can someone help please?

here is my product_review_write.php file:

<code snipped>

This contribution does not use product_review_write.php. Email is done by review_mail.php.

First, can you send mail from your store using the normal email functions? Does your customer get the confirmation email when they place an order? If that works, have you run the manual test mentioned in the How to Set Up and Use section of the readme.txt?

Regards

Jim

This contribution does not use product_review_write.php. Email is done by review_mail.php.

First, can you send mail from your store using the normal email functions? Does your customer get the confirmation email when they place an order? If that works, have you run the manual test mentioned in the How to Set Up and Use section of the readme.txt?

Regards

Jim

Sorry my bad, I posted on the wrong thread. I was trying the review approval contribution. I will install this one shortly and let you know how it turns out. Thanks

Edited by hommer