• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Hi,

thanks you very much again Jack.

Sorry, maybe I am misunderstanding something here. I mean, that I wish to use the store name in the header "title" tag, not in the header "keyword" tag.

Really that I would like is have a title header tag as the Google SEO guide recomends, it says in its example:

<html>

<head>

<title>Brandon's Baseball Cards - Buy Cards, Baseball News, Card Prices</title>

<meta name="description=" content="Brandon's Baseball Cards provides a

large selection of vintage and modern baseball cards for sale. We also offer

daily baseball news and events in">

</head>

<body>

(1) The title of the homepage for our baseball card site, which lists the business

name and three main focus areas.

Thanks again.

Hi,

thanks you very much again Jack.

Sorry, maybe I am misunderstanding something here. I mean, that I wish to use the store name in the header "title" tag, not in the header "keyword" tag.

I don't think google means to take that literally. In that example, if that was your site, you would be telling the search engines you want people that search for "Brandon's Baseball Cards" to end up on your site. The problem is that it is doubtful that anyone is searching for "Brandon's Baseball Cards," unless that happens to be some manufacturer. If it is just the name of your site, you will end up ranking number one for it but it will be a useless ranking because no one is looking for it. But you can do it if you want. Just go into Page Control for index.php and enter the name in the box there. If you want it to also appear on the category pages, check the category box.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Prior to the last version or two, the update file was specific to the version bieng updated. I changed this recently to check previous changes so it will work for any version, but only from that one forward. So if you use the update file (be sure to use the update settings option), it should catch many of the changes but there will be some that are missing due to the age of your version. All of the mysql updates are in the update files so if you do them as described, you won't have any problems, though it might take a while.

Ok cool, no that's fine, I'll go through the update files and upload the latest files. Cheers!

Getting an error when uploading from 3.0.4 to 3.0.5 - I just want to have the root checkbox available firstly so I can change some title tags for seo, then I may upload to more recent versions.

Everything looks fine in admin, I can see the root checkbox in the "page control" section, however, when I try to make a change to a file, for example to index.php, I get an error like this:

"Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed in xxx/xxx/public_html/shop/includes/functions/header_tags.php on line 43

Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed in xxx/xxx/public_html/shop/includes/functions/header_tags.php on line 44

Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed in xxx/xxx/public_html/shop/includes/functions/header_tags.php on line 45

Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed in xxx/xxx/public_html/shop/includes/functions/header_tags.php on line 46"

Any idea what could be causing that error?

Thanks.

Getting an error when uploading from 3.0.4 to 3.0.5 - I just want to have the root checkbox available firstly so I can change some title tags for seo, then I may upload to more recent versions.

Everything looks fine in admin, I can see the root checkbox in the "page control" section, however, when I try to make a change to a file, for example to index.php, I get an error like this:

"Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed in xxx/xxx/public_html/shop/includes/functions/header_tags.php on line 43

No, not specifically. Being on an old version and in-between versions makes it difficult to troubleshoot from here. My guess is there is some difference in the Header Tags files you are using.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

hello,

i installed 3.28 on an oscommerce 2.3.1 and i recently added a page pdfs.php. i added this thru a contribution add a new page.

when i go into admin section> Header Tags SEO V 3.2.8> page control the new page is not being picked up. other pages i added are being picked up

. i compared the 2 files and they are the same.

what am i missing??

craig

hello,

i installed 3.28 on an oscommerce 2.3.1 and i recently added a page pdfs.php. i added this thru a contribution add a new page.

when i go into admin section> Header Tags SEO V 3.2.8> page control the new page is not being picked up. other pages i added are being picked up

. i compared the 2 files and they are the same.

what am i missing??

craig

I'm not familiar with that contribution so I can't really say. But in 2.3, no special code is needed for the page to be recognized as long as it is a correctly setup page. That means there needs to be a file in the languages directory with the same name and an entry in the filenames.php file for that file. If those are there, I've no idea where the problem is. But you could make a copy of a page that is showing, like privacy.php and rename it to that pages name. If it then shows up, the problem is in that code.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

No, not specifically. Being on an old version and in-between versions makes it difficult to troubleshoot from here. My guess is there is some difference in the Header Tags files you are using.

I ended up playing around with checking and unchecking various boxes in page control and it got rid of the implode warning on all pages.

I still have a couple of issues though:

1) I can't seem to modify the header tags of a few files that I have added myself (not in the default oscommerce package) even though they are listed in page control.

2) How do I add pages that are not appearing in "page control" that I want to modify the header tags for, when running "add missing pages" doesn't seem to add them?

3) When I have the root checkbox unticked in index.php, it doesn't show the index.php title tag on the categories or sub-categories pages, but it does show on the manufacturers pages, and I need to remove this.

1) I can't seem to modify the header tags of a few files that I have added myself (not in the default oscommerce package) even though they are listed in page control.

2) How do I add pages that are not appearing in "page control" that I want to modify the header tags for, when running "add missing pages" doesn't seem to add them?

3) When I have the root checkbox unticked in index.php, it doesn't show the index.php title tag on the categories or sub-categories pages, but it does show on the manufacturers pages, and I need to remove this.

1 - If you are not using 2.3 then you need to add the Header Tags code to the file.

2 - See my reply above yours regarding this.

3 - If you are not using the latest version, that might be the case. The fix is to upgrade.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

Thanks for your great contribution.

I installed Header Tags SEO V 3.2.8 on Osc v2.3.1,everything seems working fine. Now I have a problem.when I realize a search on the site I get the following error:

1146 - Table 'db420072642.TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS' doesn't exist

select 1 FROM TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS where keyword = 'dorado' and language_id = 2

[TEP STOP]

I have read all the posts and doublechecked database_tables.php in catalog/includes and admin/includes, the advances_search_results.php and all the other changed files... Can't find any mistake there, but in my database if I check the headertags_keywords I get MySQL has returned an empty value

Uninstalled and installed the headertags_seo_..., Fill the tags with result:

2951 Category tags have been filled.

2951 Manufacturer tags have been filled.

2951 Product tags have been filled.

languages in the Header Tags table are: 2 ( Espanol ).

Test is OK, No errors of Permission Settings...

What else can be wrong???

1 - If you are not using 2.3 then you need to add the Header Tags code to the file.

2 - See my reply above yours regarding this.

3 - If you are not using the latest version, that might be the case. The fix is to upgrade.

Thanks for your reply Jack. For 1) and 2) I realised that I had some duplicate entries in the database for each page that I was having trouble with, so when I removed those I was able to get all pages working. For 3 I found the fix for this in a more recent version, where the root tags were removed from the manufacturers pages, so all good now.

Thanks again! Cheers, Grant

Hi,

Thanks for your great contribution.

I installed Header Tags SEO V 3.2.8 on Osc v2.3.1,everything seems working fine. Now I have a problem.when I realize a search on the site I get the following error:

1146 - Table 'db420072642.TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS' doesn't exist

Capital letters in an error mean a definition can't be found so you've missed something. That definition is in the database_tables.php file and there are two of them.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Yes, and I checked them both... /includes/database_tables.php:

define('TABLE_ZONES', 'zones');

/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS', 'headertags');

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_CACHE', 'headertags_cache');

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_DEFAULT', 'headertags_default');

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_SEARCH', 'headertags_search');

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_SILO', 'headertags_silo');

/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

?>

and admin/includes/database_tables.php:

define('TABLE_ZONES', 'zones');

/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS', 'headertags');

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_CACHE', 'headertags_cache');

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_DEFAULT', 'headertags_default');

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS', 'headertags_keywords');

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_SEARCH', 'headertags_search');

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_SILO', 'headertags_silo');

/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

?>

But I still get this error. Where else can the mistake be???

Hi

I have got this add on installed and love it but want to make sure I am using it to its full potential to benefit me

Can Jack or someone just quickly look over the following and see that is done correctly

Meta Tag Information

Product Title Tag: Hello Kitty Fashion Set - childrens toys - irhtoys.co.uk

Product Description Tag: Start your jewellery collection and keep it stored safely with the Hello Kitty Fashion Set

This jewellery storage case is shaped like Hello Kitty's face, has a handle for easy carrying, and opens out to reveal plenty of space to hold jewellery

Featuring a slide-out drawer with seperate storage compartments, and six heart-shaped pegs for hanging and displaying your favourite items of jewellery. To start off your collection, the jewellery box contains a heart-shaped Hello Kitty bracelet, ring, necklace and earrings. You even get a detachable hand mirror, to see how pretty you look in your new jewellery!. The Hello Kitty Fashion Set is a great first jewellery set for fans of Hello Kitty. Recommended Age: 4 years and over

Product Keywords Tag: Hello Kitty Fashion Set, fashion set, Hello Kitty, hello kitty, childrens toys, toys in uk, uk, basildon, essex, irhtoys.co.uk

Product Listing Text: Hello Kitty Fashion Set

Product Page Sub Text: Hello Kitty Fashion Set

Any advice or anything would be great

Sorry its long

Edited by ianhaney

Product Title Tag: Hello Kitty Fashion Set - childrens toys - irhtoys.co.uk

Product Description Tag: Start your jewellery collection and keep it stored safely with the Hello Kitty Fashion Set

This jewellery storage case is shaped like Hello Kitty's face, has a handle for easy carrying, and opens out to reveal plenty of space to hold jewellery

Featuring a slide-out drawer with seperate storage compartments, and six heart-shaped pegs for hanging and displaying your favourite items of jewellery. To start off your collection, the jewellery box contains a heart-shaped Hello Kitty bracelet, ring, necklace and earrings. You even get a detachable hand mirror, to see how pretty you look in your new jewellery!. The Hello Kitty Fashion Set is a great first jewellery set for fans of Hello Kitty. Recommended Age: 4 years and over

Product Keywords Tag: Hello Kitty Fashion Set, fashion set, Hello Kitty, hello kitty, childrens toys, toys in uk, uk, basildon, essex, irhtoys.co.uk

Keyword like irhtoys.co.uk are not helpful unless it is a branded site, like amazon or ebay. Keywords like UK are pretty useless since it is doubtful that anyone would search for UK, unless they wanted information about the UK, in which case it wouldn't apply to site, most likely. The description is the kind of thing google is looking for. They want it to be descriptive instead of just saying "we sell product a." But if you notice their listings, they only show two lines (generally around 160 characters) so you need to word the description with the main keywords for the page in those first few lines for them to be effective..

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack

Thank you for the reply

Ok cool so I take out the irhtoys.co.uk from the keywords as well as the uk

The same product I got amazon have and their keywords for that product is just Hello Kitty Fashion Set

Should I just do that, just have the keywords as the product name

and the description to be two lines containing key words like Hello Kitty Fashion Set and childrens toys and baby toys

Is that right?

Thank you for your time and help Jack

Should I just do that, just have the keywords as the product name

and the description to be two lines containing key words like Hello Kitty Fashion Set and childrens toys and baby toys

Is that right?

I replied previously as a general guide but anything more doesn't belong in this support thread. You can search the forums and the web for SEO and find many posts on how to do what you want.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi, Jack,

I am just installing your superb software. This happened at the index.php page:

1109 - Unknown table 'p' in field list

select count(p.products_id) as total

[TEP STOP]

Would you advice me what to do, please?

Thanks

Antonin

Hi, Jack,

I am just installing your superb software. This happened at the index.php page:

1109 - Unknown table 'p' in field list

select count(p.products_id) as total

[TEP STOP]

Would you advice me what to do, please?

Thanks

Antonin

You've made a mistake in one of the edits. It's not possible to tell which edit with an error like that but you can narrow it down by seeing what page you are on when it happens. You can use the included files to test and compare with.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

I have chosen the "true" for "Display Tag Cloud" in /admin trying to use it. I am the Osc. 2.3.1.

This is to see but no "tag cloud" at the bottom of the page:

1146 - Table 'dospisilcom3.TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS' doesn't exist

select keyword, counter from TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS where keyword is not null and keyword != '' and found = 1 and language_id = 3 ORDER BY counter DESC LIMIT 20

[TEP STOP]

In fact, there is no "TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS" existing in the database. There is only a "HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS" table. But changing the table´s name doesn´t affect displaying of the error message - it comes forth with both names of the table.

How to fix it?

Thanks

Antonin

Hello @@Jack_mcs,

Quick question regarding the new Google guidelines and if there are anything that we must know that might trigger some faults and disapproval's with the webmaster tools. Any source out there that will help us configure the SEO so that it can really maximize search results and minimize any regulations that might arise with Google? Recently, got disapproved with Google with some guideline issues and Im wondering what it really is... any help?

Thank you.

1146 - Table 'dospisilcom3.TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS' doesn't exist

select keyword, counter from TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS where keyword is not null and keyword != '' and found = 1 and language_id = 3 ORDER BY counter DESC LIMIT 20

[TEP STOP]

In fact, there is no "TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS" existing in the database. There is only a "HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS" table. But changing the table´s name doesn´t affect displaying of the error message - it comes forth with both names of the table.

How to fix it?

Capital letters like that mean there is a definition missing. You should change the database table name to what it was and look at the instructions for where TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS gets added to the includes/database_tables.php file.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello @@Jack_mcs,

Quick question regarding the new Google guidelines and if there are anything that we must know that might trigger some faults and disapproval's with the webmaster tools. Any source out there that will help us configure the SEO so that it can really maximize search results and minimize any regulations that might arise with Google? Recently, got disapproved with Google with some guideline issues and Im wondering what it really is... any help?

Thank you.

There's nothing in the Headre Tags code that will cause a problem with google but it can be abused, like over-filling the keywords tag. SEO is one of the most popular searches on the web and there are many, many places to look at how to optimize the shop. This contribution provides you wih most of the code you will need to improve your sites SEO but you have use that code to take full advantage of it,

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@Jack_mcs

When I page source a specific product page, I notice that the meta title it pulls up is a "category" meta description and the "products", shouldnt it just be the product? How can I edit it so that it is just the product meta title and description? I tried with the options in the Page Control... but doesnt seem to be working.

@@Jack_mcs

When I page source a specific product page, I notice that the meta title it pulls up is a "category" meta description and the "products", shouldnt it just be the product? How can I edit it so that it is just the product meta title and description? I tried with the options in the Page Control... but doesnt seem to be working.

There is an option in the settings that can cause that (Display Category Parents in Title and Tags).

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons