• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Multi-Site, Multi-Store e-commerce option

c0y0te

Hi there,

I represent a large bunch of interested users who have been looking for specific open source e-commerce functionality for a while now, but we have not been able to find a solution that provides it. I wrote some articles a while back about the lack of this functionality and I know that some development teams claimed to be working on it, but I don't know if anyone has cracked it yet. I will outline the functionality below, but my question is essentially - are there any plans for Joomla (or any Joomla Extensions) to support this type of functionality in the future and is so, when? I've already emailed a similar question to the OSC development team.

The functionality in question is what I refer to as multi-site, multi-store. To summarise:

Specifically I want to have a single install/codebase which enables me to create sites on the fly (probably as subdomains) for clients, each subsite presenting it’s own front end (templates, shopping cart, taxes, products etc.) to consumers and backend (admin GUI, catalog, configuration items etc.) to vendors. I see the role of a central site as an aggregator (acting as a virtual shopping mall if you will for each subsite), but it’s important to me (and the clients) that they are also accessible as individual shops in their own right. The idea of the single codebase/install is that it cuts down dramitically on support effort, and therefore costs. It also means I could get a dedicated server for all subdomains and just do the whole hosting thing simply, instead of having to setup seperate hosting contracts for each client.

In this multi-site, multi-store scenario each seller can maintain their own 'store' via a common backend - so I'm assuming seperate tables would be required in the database. Each 'buyer' can access the stores either on their specific domain names (e.g. store.domain.com) or via the main / central store domain.com site. Shipping, taxes etc. should be configurable per store and it should also be possible for the aggregator site to take a percentage of of all transctions as an admin fee.

The service provided by the aggregator is a combination of hosting, SEO and support, but the sellers maintain their own stores and deal directly with their clients (e.g. shipping etc.). Where they benefit is by being part of a virtual online shopping mall and the resulting SEO.

I am checking in with all of the major e-commerce open source solutions on the market and their respective development teams to see if anyone is going to address this and I will be publishing the results of this analysis on my website for interested parties.

Can you clarify for me please if there are any OSC modules or extensions that provides this type of functionality please? Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
Hi there,

I represent a large bunch of interested users who have been looking for specific open source e-commerce functionality for a while now, but we have not been able to find a solution that provides it. I wrote some articles a while back about the lack of this functionality and I know that some development teams claimed to be working on it, but I don't know if anyone has cracked it yet. I will outline the functionality below, but my question is essentially - are there any plans for Joomla (or any Joomla Extensions) to support this type of functionality in the future and is so, when? I've already emailed a similar question to the OSC development team.

The functionality in question is what I refer to as multi-site, multi-store. To summarise:

Specifically I want to have a single install/codebase which enables me to create sites on the fly (probably as subdomains) for clients, each subsite presenting it’s own front end (templates, shopping cart, taxes, products etc.) to consumers and backend (admin GUI, catalog, configuration items etc.) to vendors. I see the role of a central site as an aggregator (acting as a virtual shopping mall if you will for each subsite), but it’s important to me (and the clients) that they are also accessible as individual shops in their own right. The idea of the single codebase/install is that it cuts down dramitically on support effort, and therefore costs. It also means I could get a dedicated server for all subdomains and just do the whole hosting thing simply, instead of having to setup seperate hosting contracts for each client.

In this multi-site, multi-store scenario each seller can maintain their own 'store' via a common backend - so I'm assuming seperate tables would be required in the database. Each 'buyer' can access the stores either on their specific domain names (e.g. store.domain.com) or via the main / central store domain.com site. Shipping, taxes etc. should be configurable per store and it should also be possible for the aggregator site to take a percentage of of all transctions as an admin fee.

The service provided by the aggregator is a combination of hosting, SEO and support, but the sellers maintain their own stores and deal directly with their clients (e.g. shipping etc.). Where they benefit is by being part of a virtual online shopping mall and the resulting SEO.

I am checking in with all of the major e-commerce open source solutions on the market and their respective development teams to see if anyone is going to address this and I will be publishing the results of this analysis on my website for interested parties.

Can you clarify for me please if there are any OSC modules or extensions that provides this type of functionality please? Thank you.

Hi,

I have an oscommerce multi store, i built myself www.thefruitman.co.uk - It's one store with many sellers , who all have their own admin login. The way I've set it up is geographical, so each stores customers only see the products of the store owner who 'owns' the customers postcode/ zipcode . The store owners just have to keep their produce up to date take the orders and deliver the goods. I just take a percentage from each order .

Like yourself I spent ages trying to look for this in opensource but couldn't find anything so decided I'd have to learn php, html, sql and build it myself. I also got some professional quotes which were all £3,0000 +

It's probably slightly different from what you're looking for (i.e customer by postcode) but can be ammended to suit your needs. If you're interested get in touch and we can dsicuss further.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i have problem in multi store installation & configuration.

It's one of the hardest and most time consuming mods to add to an existing few stores. I recently did it for a client who has 5 seperate osCommerce stores and it took 2 weeks just to modify his existing files and template files etc. to work with it and another 2 weeks of testing just to iron out all the bugs from his company specific requirements for the way he wanted it to work which included keeping the customers tables seperate, having reports added for each stores sales per month and a few other standard mods. What an ordeal, i completely undercharged him by atleast 50% ! But atleast next time i'll be able to do it quicker...

It's definitely worth it in the end though and worth the try if you're installing on a new store or an unmodified store which would take way less time...! www.thegizmoshop.net is my version of his store if you're interested to see what's possible with the Multi Store mod :)

If anyone is looking for it installed and configured etc. PM me!

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I am also trying to do the same. However, I am trying in on my local machine first, rather then trying online. I have installed it successfully, but don't know, how to access different stores from front end. could you please help me for the same?

Thanks in advance.

It's one of the hardest and most time consuming mods to add to an existing few stores. I recently did it for a client who has 5 seperate osCommerce stores and it took 2 weeks just to modify his existing files and template files etc. to work with it and another 2 weeks of testing just to iron out all the bugs from his company specific requirements for the way he wanted it to work which included keeping the customers tables seperate, having reports added for each stores sales per month and a few other standard mods. What an ordeal, i completely undercharged him by atleast 50% ! But atleast next time i'll be able to do it quicker...

It's definitely worth it in the end though and worth the try if you're installing on a new store or an unmodified store which would take way less time...! www.thegizmoshop.net is my version of his store if you're interested to see what's possible with the Multi Store mod :)

• 3 months later...

Dear

I am looking for a multistore setup using oscommerce. I am willing to start from scratch..

Anyone who are willing to help with the project for a small fee?

email me at [email protected]

Regards

Shiok Guy

• 7 months later...

Hi — I know this is an old thread, though the idea is very current.

I've been looking around for a multi-shop/multi-vendor cart system for a client. I almost certain that I've found what I want in IXXO Multi-Vendor. It's fairly expensive at $1495 for a downloadable install.

It requires all vendors to have PayPal accounts if they want to receive payments from the system. In my case, we'd be using Authorize.net so we'll have to generate checks for vendors, but the cart will track all sales, site owner commissions, and the payments owed (and made) to vendors for sales.

It is an extension for Joomla. Which also fits our needs. I've also recently heard from Dioscouri.com — a Joomla extension developer — that they are going to be releasing an Enterprise version of their Tienda cart system which will handle multi-vendor stores.

Hope this helps someone...

Best,

Railer

Edited by railer

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a solution geared for oscommerce users. We have talked about this internally within our company for months now to come up with the best possible strategy to handle multiple stores and here is what we finally decided...

We are either building or converting stores from other platforms to our extremely modified oscommerce cart. What this means is that from a business perspective we are working our a*ses off to build and nurture the assets. If and when we were to decide to let go of one of the stores or some of the stores we want it to be extremely easy and simple. With that being said each of our oscommerce stores are independent and the way we will tie them all together is building a "master" admin system which will allow us to manage each store's database. Manage products, orders, customers etc. Again this was just in the discussion phase, so not really sure how practical this approach will be or if there will be any complications.

Not really a solution geared for oscommerce users. We have talked about this internally within our company for months now to come up with the best possible strategy to handle multiple stores and here is what we finally decided...

We are either building or converting stores from other platforms to our extremely modified oscommerce cart. What this means is that from a business perspective we are working our a*ses off to build and nurture the assets. If and when we were to decide to let go of one of the stores or some of the stores we want it to be extremely easy and simple. With that being said each of our oscommerce stores are independent and the way we will tie them all together is building a "master" admin system which will allow us to manage each store's database. Manage products, orders, customers etc. Again this was just in the discussion phase, so not really sure how practical this approach will be or if there will be any complications.

Thanks spoofy,

I was considering CRE Loaded for a while, but when the multi-vendor requirement became a part of the spec, I had to look around again. Thought there might be something in the OSC community. But doesn't look stable yet.

Anyway, good luck with your modification work.

Best,

railer

and as for commercial solutions you can also have a look at CS-Carts virtual mall version

• 3 months later...