• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is IPN still necessary w/ OSC 2.3.1?

catalano

Hello All,

I just did a new install of osc2.3.1 and was wondering if the Paypal IPN add-on is still necessary. I've seen a thread here somewhere that says not to use it, but then others say that they're still using it. FWIW my base install of OSC came with Paypal Express installed. Is this the intended replacement for IPN or Standard? My main concern with any of the Paypal solutions is that an order email gets generated if the customer doesn't return to the store after making the payment. This was a years-long problem with the Paypal Standard module which I never understood why it was still distributed as a part of OSC.

So I'm just looking for some clarification on what to use so that we are ensured of getting all of our orders whether the client returns back to the site or not.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

I don't believe that the PayPal Standard module was improved in the 2.3.1 release. Therefore, I would suggest you still use the IPN module. It is available in the modules>payment area, just click add module.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I don't have the IPN module in my options. The Install Module button in the upper right indicates that there are 44 options. But the only things for Paypal are:

PayPal Website Payments Pro - Direct Payments

PayPal Website Payments Pro (Payflow Edition) - Direct Payments

PayPal Website Payments Pro (Payflow Edition) - Express Checkout

PayPal Website Payments Standard

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

I don't believe that the PayPal Standard module was improved in the 2.3.1 release. Therefore, I would suggest you still use the IPN module. It is available in the modules>payment area, just click add module.

Chris

Chris,

I am sorry, I was thinking of the Payments Pro module. In any case, you can still use the IPN module from the contribution area.

Chris

Ok, thanks. Any suggestions as to which version of that contribution to use? I last used 2.3.4.7 on a site about a year ago and as far as I know its still working. Still wondering why this hasn't been incorporated into the base module that is delivered with OSC. I mean this problem has existed for over 5 years now.....

Chris,

I am sorry, I was thinking of the Payments Pro module. In any case, you can still use the IPN module from the contribution area.

Chris

• 5 months later...

Hi :

My store is run on OSC 2.3.1, I got the same problem.

Do I download this version: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2679/category,1/search,PayPal+IPN+2.3.4.6+module

it said that it can support OSC 2.2MS2, does it support OSC 2.3.1?

There are too many version in there.

Does it can support IPN module for OSC 2.3.1 ?

" osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.0 For 2.2MS2"

or

" Paypal_IPN_2_3_4_7 Fix for QTPro v4.51b and/or Discount Coupon Codes 3.32 "

thanks a lot!

Paul Chan

IPN is what paypal used to describe that option when it came out so the paypal modules after that used that name. The paypal standard module is the most stable and uses that option, even though the name doesn't indicate it. There are settings in paypal that cause an auto return, which should be used, but the payment notification will work either way. So, in my opinion, you should use the paypal standard module already in your shop.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

... My main concern with any of the Paypal solutions is that an order email gets generated if the customer doesn't return to the store after making the payment. This was a years-long problem with the Paypal Standard module which I never understood why it was still distributed as a part of OSC.

It is actually a bug in all versions of oscommerce before 2.3.1. Not sure why it only affected the paypal module. The most common symptom is to get a payment received notice from Paypal and no record of the order in the admin panel. It is not caused by the customer not returnng to the shop.

This mis-diagnosis had the side effect of causing the module to be significantly improved, but the problem remained intermitently.

The code changes were made to 2.3.1 . You should be fine with the standard module, but 2.3.1 is relatively new so look around to see wat problems others are having with it. I don't know of any issues with paypal on 2.3.1.

It is actually a bug in all versions of oscommerce before 2.3.1. Not sure why it only affected the paypal module. The most common symptom is to get a payment received notice from Paypal and no record of the order in the admin panel. It is not caused by the customer not returnng to the shop.

This mis-diagnosis had the side effect of causing the module to be significantly improved, but the problem remained intermitently.

The code changes were made to 2.3.1 . You should be fine with the standard module, but 2.3.1 is relatively new so look around to see wat problems others are having with it. I don't know of any issues with paypal on 2.3.1.

The "no order received" problem was due to the customer not returning to the shop. That was fixed in the paypal standard module though setting the auto return, as mentioned, is still usually needed. The paypal standard module in 2.3 is the same one that Harold released about three years ago and is the one that should be used.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

The "no order received" problem was due to the customer not returning to the shop...

I differ on this though this is the common explanation of the problem. Just want people to know that the bug is still in their pre 2.3.1 carts when using paypal.

I differ on this though this is the common explanation of the problem. Just want people to know that the bug is still in their pre 2.3.1 carts when using paypal.

It's more than an explanation, in my mind at least, because I've installed paypal standard into, easily, doezens of shops and not one has ever had the orders problem once it was setup as I mentioned. Maybe doing as I suggest is just hiding some coding problem but the result is what matters so I suggest to anyone having this problem to install the paypal standard module and setup the auto return. It's an easy test.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Catalano for asking the question and to Jack for his recommendation. I inherited a shop for the support running v2.2RC2a and was unable to display Paypal icon (on checkout_payment.php) using paypal IPN module. After reading this post, I used the Paypal standard module with paypal_ipn settings at paypal's page and it is working as expected. :)

Thanks again!

Manjeet

• 4 months later...

It's more than an explanation, in my mind at least, because I've installed paypal standard into, easily, doezens of shops and not one has ever had the orders problem once it was setup as I mentioned. Maybe doing as I suggest is just hiding some coding problem but the result is what matters so I suggest to anyone having this problem to install the paypal standard module and setup the auto return. It's an easy test.

What is the best paypal setup for osc231???

I have setup the returning URL to checkout_success but customer does not receive order confirmation mail.

where am i wrong???

PS is there any hack to store the order after paypal payment and not when customer redirected to paypal site??????

• 4 months later...

Trying to install paypal standard module, run into a problem in the modules available section of the payment module. the install tab indicates 45 modules, clicking on that tab to get to the list of modules available gets you there but only displays the first 27 available modules in alphabetical order, ending at the NO CHEX module; there is an up/down slider, scrolls you throught the 27 listed modules and no more. Tried running the screen down to 50% magnification, nothing is there: There is also no area on the right to perform the install with. Not sure if i have a missing admin file or something else? Is it possible to install the paypal standard module, by changing something in a file?

Timmy C

Trying to install paypal standard module, run into a problem in the modules available section of the payment module. the install tab indicates 45 modules, clicking on that tab to get to the list of modules available gets you there but only displays the first 27 available modules in alphabetical order, ending at the NO CHEX module; there is an up/down slider, scrolls you throught the 27 listed modules and no more. Tried running the screen down to 50% magnification, nothing is there: There is also no area on the right to perform the install with. Not sure if i have a missing admin file or something else? Is it possible to install the paypal standard module, by changing something in a file?

Timmy C

Unless you actually plan to offer 45 payment modules, which seems unlikely, just delete the ones you don't want.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks a bunch for your help,

Timmy C

opps, hit paste key on last post! no way to delete from admin panel, there is no blue box area to the right side of page to work from. tried changing filenames in includes/modules/payment, hoping that would drop them from the listing, no joy! Next, went back and tried same with last alphabetically listed module in admin, module was gone from listing, displayed page was one line shorter top to bottom, still no blue box area on right side of page to make changes with. It is not a problem with display settings or the monitor. tried taking screen magification down to 50% to see any differnt, nope same as at 100%; there is no slider across bottom of page you would normally see if display was hiding off edge of monitor. It has to be a file in the admin maybe corrupted, don't know which file would be the culprit?

opps, hit paste key on last post! no way to delete from admin panel,

For non-2.3 shops, you have to delete the files in both the includes/modules/payment and includes/languages/english/modules/payment directories.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

She's a 2.3 shop! Problem has to be with whatever file controls the display of the payment module. I can delete any of the 27 displayed files, from the 45 listed on the install button, the page listing just grows shorter, won't display any module with an alphabetical name of "N" or higher (such as P or S.) The page list is so wide, the area on right side of screen for making changes doesn't display. All other modules avialable in admin panel display as they should with a page showing installed modules and tab to install, clicking that tab, the page loads and shows a area to the right to make changes. The payment module must have a corrupted file?

Timmy C

• 6 months later...

@@Jack_mcs Great stuff. You just saved me a ton of testing!!! Actually, my brother as well who was skeptical about moving forward with the PayPal Standard Module on his website. We didn't know it was fixed that long ago. Ugh, wish I knew. Thanks a bunch!!!

Dave